We're pulling up stakes here in middle Tennessee and moving to Florida in a couple of weeks to be closer to the kids and grandkids.  Can't wait for the move to be over with (my back is already hurting!).

I'm going to be moving my shop which includes several items with polished cast iron working surfaces.  These items are going to be placed in climate controlled storage for at least 3 months while our house is being built.  What's the best way to keep these surfaces rust free?  I thought about using regular grease and once we're moved in use kerosene to clean it off.

Any other thoughts?

Doug

Not sure on the moisture/climate down there. Wax maybe??

Be aware of the Florida Mafia down there.

Jack
Fred
Knottedhaid

Aahh, there's more.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I live in So. Florida and have stored things in an indoor storage location without issues or coatings but it won't hurt to do so. I also have a shop/shed with a mini-split unit in it and have cast iron tools inside. What I do when I go on vacation is to spray the tops (jointer tables & fence/table saw top/band saw table/DP column & chuck) with Boeshield T-9 or CorrosionX and cover it with cardboard or plywood. I learned this trick after reading it on a forum somewhere. Apparently the cardboard/plywood keeps the moisture off the cast iron top. For now, it has worked for me quite well. I'm sure there are other methods that are also effective.

(06-27-2020, 06:11 PM)OBG53 Wrote: . . . and cover it with cardboard or plywood.

That’s what our high school shop teacher used to do every spring before school let out for the summer. I think he used something like 3-in-1 oil, though, but I’m not sure.  I guess it wasn’t so off the wall after all.  That was around 45 years ago, though.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
CorrosionX HD https://www.corrosionx.com/products/corr...heavy-duty
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I used LPS #3 when I moved to Montana. Very humid here but I doubt anything like Florida. Nice thing about LPS is it just wipes off and prevents rust very well.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
My Florida shop is not air-conditioned.
I cover the cast-iron surfaces with plywood.
It works!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(06-27-2020, 05:11 PM)dg152 Wrote: We're pulling up stakes here in middle Tennessee and moving to Florida in a couple of weeks to be closer to the kids and grandkids.  Can't wait for the move to be over with (my back is already hurting!).

I'm going to be moving my shop which includes several items with polished cast iron working surfaces.  These items are going to be placed in climate controlled storage for at least 3 months while our house is being built.  What's the best way to keep these surfaces rust free?  I thought about using regular grease and once we're moved in use kerosene to clean it off.

Any other thoughts?

Doug
I thought about using regular grease

Light chassis grease is what recommend..  A light but even coat that completely covers all cast iron, if you want to be sure...You have to keep the humid air away from the metal's surface..Grease has enough "body" to do that reliably over long periods..There are other materials that work also but grease is cheap and you may already have some...You could also use petroleum jelly, Slip-It etc but you want something with some thickness..All can be removed when the time comes with paint thinner etc..I have lived in Florida now for 81 years and can tell you something about rust and humidity.
Crazy  
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Of course, there’s always the real thing - Cosmoline.  

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmoline-RP-342-...s9dHJ1ZQ==
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I use pastewax and boeshield T9. Id spray the T9 on and let it dry.  

Looks like you can buy it by the gallon

https://www.amazon.com/BOESHIELD-Corrosi...7623&psc=1

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Moving to Florida