There's a new video on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2W10JtdPU4

Brendan Gaffney has just written a book about the life of James Krenov and in this video Brendan gives a presentation about his research.  He goes into detail about Krenov's early life and artistic influences.  Lots of photos as well.

This video is 1.5 hours long!

Mike

(10-09-2020, 04:17 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: There's a new video on YouTube

Brendan Gaffney has just written a book about the life of James Krenov and in this video Brendan gives a presentation about his research.  He goes into detail about Krenov's early life and artistic influences.  Lots of photos as well.

Mike

Thank you. -Howard
Mike - 

Thanks for the link. I am a big Krenov fan. I have a short bio of JK on my web-site. I may have to get the book to fact check what I wrote!

Below is my attempt/interpretation/homage to a Krenov Cabinet on Stand. I would love to see any that others have made!

Materials: Teak, Black Acacia, Spalted Poplar and Wenge

[attachment=30146]

[attachment=30144]

(10-10-2020, 02:26 PM)Don_M Wrote: Mike - 

Thanks for the link. I am a big Krenov fan. I have a short bio of JK on my web-site. I may have to get the book to fact check what I wrote!

Below is my attempt/interpretation/homage to a Krenov Cabinet on Stand. I would love to see any that others have made!

Materials: Teak, Black Acacia, Spalted Poplar and Wenge

That's beautiful!  You can see the Krenov influence.
Nice cabinet, Don.  I like the matched grain on the drawer fronts.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

The drawer fronts were from a single piece of Black Acacia and although not obvious from the photo are actually convex in shape. The drawer case construction is a bit more complicated  as they are supported by internal sets of runners/kickers/rails that sit behind and are hidden by the drawer fronts which gives the illusion the drawers  sit or float on themselves (another, as I understand, JK technique)
here's a piece i did in the krenov style - i met him in 2002 when i attended the college of the redwoods wwing school. he wasn't teaching but would walk through the shop and chat with people - and a few times gather everyone to talk about his approach on a cabinet the was currently working on.
the wood is aniegre - not sure why the color shift between top & bottom - not there in real life
jerry

[attachment=30189][attachment=30190]
(10-09-2020, 04:17 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: There's a new video on YouTube

Mike

I am a huge fan of Krenovs work and designs.

Here is my contribution in curly Koa:
John

Chisel And Bit
Custom Crafted Furniture
john626fry@gmail.com

(10-11-2020, 11:05 PM)John Fry Wrote: I am a huge fan of Krenovs work and designs.

Here is my contribution in curly Koa:

Those doors are amazing!

Mike

Impressive Krenov-inspired builds!

I admire Krenov's but mostly his wall cabinets...I'm not a fan of the stands at all.

Of his smaller pieces, I like the Jewelry box of Andaman padouk and the Ceramic pieces box he was commissioned to make for the late King Gustav of Sweden most.

Simon
For fans of James Krenov