A while back, I received a mailer bag with 2 chunks of Rosewood....mainly to repair or replace a couple handles on a few planes....Traced around one Jack plane's tote, and roughly cut out a copy.....then, while watching the Furnace guys install a new furnace for the house..

Got to looking at the cutoffs from sawing the replacement tote....thought that maybe a sliver would do a small repair to that tote...

I planed the 2 mating surfaces as best I could..then some glue and a clamp...letting it sit a day...

Well, we now have HEAT in the house!   Went to the shop for a spell, today...shape and sand, shape some more, sand all the old finish off...sand some more..had a Dremel with a Flex shaft, and a large sanding drum for the Dremel.....finally, had to open up the spot for the bolt's head ( one piece bolt, war era type 3) that the repair had almost covered up..Got it marked out using said bolt....Then, a brace and bit to open it up...then sand again.....then a coat of Gunstock stain..
Rolleyes  

Will let this dry overnight....then maybe a top coat?

Millers Falls No. 14, Type 3.....I also have a Craftsman version...almost the same age...

Has the wrong knob, and is missing a chunk of horn....should be able to replace the missing horn...but maybe try to turn the correct knob?   Without a lathe?
Confused 

Hmmm..more fun.   Drill a hole, clamp a knob sized blank in the drillpress...and see how that spins out.   As for that rough blank of a handle?  Seems I have a Stanley #5 that could use a new tote?  
Stay tuned...
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Looks great!

FWIW, Paul Sellers does a nice job of showing how to make a tote and knob with basic hand tools...
https://paulsellers.com/paul-sellers-videos/
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Yep...just watched both of them.....I will use SOME of his ideas.....and some of mine....and see what turns up
Rolleyes
NEXT!   Went from this blank..
[attachment=30410]
Then drill a hole...or 2..
[attachment=30411]
While trying to follow that line...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=30412]
#3 bit....tends to drift a bit
Angry  Larger hole for the brass nut was a forstner bit..

Then the dust clouds appeared..until...
Winkgrin
[attachment=30413]
About halfway done with shaping...I thought I could use the old 1" strip sander...
Rolleyes
[attachment=30414]
Belt was too worn down, about useless.   Replaced the drum sander on the Dremel..
[attachment=30415]
New drum sander, backed the speed off a bit...and finished shaping, and removing all the burn marks
Angry ..
[attachment=30416]
Got to the "Test for fit" stage....then left the handle in place, clamped the plane in the bench vise...and strips of 180 grit to "shine" the wood like a shoe.  then a coat of BLO..
[attachment=30417]
Then the rest of the parts installed..
[attachment=30418]
And allow to dry, until it no long stinks up the shop
No   While I figure out which repair to work on next...
Stanley No. 5 Jack plane...look any better?
Confused 
Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Lee Valley has templates for totes available for free here -

https://assets.leevalley.com/Original/10...c-07-e.pdf  for 2, 3 and 4 planes
https://assets.leevalley.com/Original/10...c-06-e.pdf  for 5 and up planes
https://assets.leevalley.com/Original/10...c-01-e.pdf  for Veritas planes

I used one to re-handle a #6 type 8 I got from my dad and it worked out well.

But it looks like you already have a handle on it.
Winkgrin
Tote No. 2 is done...
[attachment=30422]
Replaced that taped up handle...
[attachment=30423]
With a new Rosewood one.   Plane is a Stanley No. 4, Type 10. 
wondering IF I should refinish the front knob..
[attachment=30424]
Or...just make a new one....we'll see...
Winkgrin
I'd give refinishing the front knob a try and see how it looks. You can always decide to rebuild if it doesn't come out to your liking.
Refinish the low knob....trying to get a new tall knob made.....issues with the hardware to hold the part in the drill press....2 trips to Lowes..so far..
Rolleyes
And.....in addition to the new knob out front...the rear tote needed a wedgey...
Winkgrin 
[attachment=30461]
Which meant I needed to re-find the hole for the tote's bolt...glued the wedge in place, let it sit a while.   gave up on the mandrel turning...180 grit sanding disc and a lot of sanding going on....while waiting on the glue.
[attachment=30462]
Forstner bit was a hair too big...just the way the evening was going..
Angry 
[attachment=30463]
While the smelly BLO  cured...then added the rest of the plane's parts..
[attachment=30464]
So, this is what that jack plane looked like, back in September, when it came home with me....
Rolleyes
[attachment=30465]
Plane is a Millers Falls made for Sears,  lever cap and iron are both with a Craftsman logo....otherwise, it would be a post-WW2, Type 2 No. 14......

Waiting on the BLO to finish curing in all the handles...then a top coat will be added...

hopefully, these planes will look a little better?   There IS a horn-less Stanley No. 8, Type 7 that could use a new horn....we'll see

Stay tuned...
Got a chance to use that last Jack plane the other day....
Cool  
[attachment=30547]
Bear in mind, this plane had a brazed back together base...someone had snapped the poor thing into 2 pieces.....then did a decent enough job to braze it back together.   Yes, I did have to flatten the sole during rehab..banana-sole..
Uhoh

Anyway, iron is sharp, chipbreaker is adjusted for a better fit.  And now, it has decent handles, again...
Cool
[attachment=30548]
Imagine that...a $5 busted up jack plane, acting like a smooth plane...full width, see-through shavings....as a Jack plane?   Works even better than that WR #62 I have.  
Winkgrin
Having a bit of fun