workbench as outfeed table (h/t Fine Woodworking)
Right now, I have a very basic outfeed table for my saw, and honestly that's where I do a LOT of my assembly and random other tasks. I definitely plan on doing something similar to what other people have posted! I do have another, lower bench (long story) so I have a place to do things if and when I need to clear the deck to cut a large board. I also helped a buddy of mine build a bench several years ago that he uses for outfeed all the time. He loves it, altho he admits it is hard to keep it clear all the time. He has a dewalt job site saw mounted on a cart we also made, and most of time time it's hooked to the end of the bench so it doesn't roll around, but he can move the saw easily if need be for longer items. Point is, you could either set it up so the bench is movable, or the saw is movable.
Benny

Don't like the idea.

Think about your work flow and having to move stuff all the time to make room for a rip cut.

Nawwwww....
rwe2156 said:

Don't like the idea.

Think about your work flow and having to move stuff all the time to make room for a rip cut.

Nawwwww....

It just means you cant use your bench as a place to pile your crap (darn I guess I am out as well)
vernonator said:

[blockquote]rwe2156 said:

Don't like the idea.

Nawwwww....

It just means you cant use your bench as a place to pile your crap (darn I guess I am out as well)

[/blockquote]
That's just it. Unless you have a folding out-feed table and religiously fold it after each use, I'd wager most people will use it as a surface, might as well be a good one.
Benny

stuff piles up in my shop too, mostly because it doesn't have a place of its own. My saw is covered in projects right now, in fact. But I am pretty sure that needing to clear a bench would actually be beneficial to me rather than a problem.
WilliamHodge said:

I built a light weight 4' x 4' bench for an outfeed table for my rip saw. The table has adjustable feet, so I can true up the table to make it match the saw as needed. The table is not connected to the saw, so I can move it away from the saw to allow it to balance longer wood. The table doubles as an assembly bench, It works, because the bench is light enough to slide around, so I don't need wheels. The wheels make height adjustment awkward.

+1 on this.

The outfeed table I built is an oak table frame *(like a kitchen table would be) with melamine coated particle board on top. It is about as wide as the saw and maybe 30" deep.

Not attached to the saw. Used lag bolts for levelers.

I didn't cut miter slot grooves in it so I have a flat surface and use it sometimes for assembly or when finishing a lot of pieces and need the extra space.

The only time the lack of miter slots is an issue is when using my big sled, and in that case I just pull the table away from the saw a few inches and its fine.

After using mine for years I do not understand why there is a need to have the outfeed table attached to the saw.

Mike
mikefm101 said:

After using mine for years I do not understand why there is a need to have the outfeed table attached to the saw.

Mike

Depending on the table's use and the type of saw, connecting them can be a good added source of mass and stability.
Benny

I've got another tablesaw as my tablesaw's outfeed table. stow the fence under the table, lower the blade and it works great....other than its always collecting stuff that I have to then clean off which is what I would think a workbench as an outfeed table would do.

What do you do if you're working on a reasonably large project on the workbench/outfeed table and you have to rip more boards? keep moving the project to and from the workbench?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I have another bench in the other room for hand tool stuff where the projects go if they need assembly or something like that. Or if that's full, they go on the milling machine table
meackerman said:

What do you do if you're working on a reasonably large project on the workbench/outfeed table and you have to rip more boards? keep moving the project to and from the workbench?

If it's your primary work bench then yes, you keep moving things around
Benny