Using a dovetail saw
(10-15-2023, 10:24 AM)stav Wrote: You're one up on me, I have never even heard of that variety before.  That is a fabulous saw.

It is Finnish of origin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Many, many moons ago, David Jeske (I think... nope... Glen-Drake.... vide infra) introduced a two-handled western dovetail saw... a most peculiar beast, held like a black hat with two pistols in a bad 60s western. Seemed like a bad idea for folks of average dexterity, but might it be a good option here?
It was so successful I can't even find an image online, but Peddar likely remembers them.
Make your wood sing!
(10-15-2023, 05:39 PM)Steve Hamlin Wrote: Many, many moons ago, David Jeske (I think) introduced a two-handled western dovetail saw... a most peculiar beast, held like a black hat with two pistols in a bad 60s western. Seemed like a bad idea for folks of average dexterity, but might it be a good option here?
It was so successful I can't even find an image online, but Peddar likely remembers them.

Glen-Drake had such an animal:

[Image: gdsaw.jpg]
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
(10-15-2023, 09:58 PM)Nordic Wrote: Glen-Drake had such an animal
Ahah! Well remembered - afraid that was before flu scrambled my brain - no wonder I couldn't find an image.
Make your wood sing!
Which holster would I put it in?  The left side or right side.  
Laugh 
Laugh 
I do have the cowboy hat and boots but no horse anymore.

I see that as hard to use since I would use my left hand to hold the table or wood while I am sawing and the dominant hand would push harder then the other one.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Afraid I am either stuck with these 2...

Or..maybe a Jackson...

And for the bigger stuff...

A Disston No. 4.....14", 9 ppi rip....the Jackson is 12"...11ppi, crosscut

BTW...I sit down on a shop stool, when using these...leaves my forearm level with the floor...

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I find the straight handle saws give me problems.  Prefer the pistol style handle.  Pardon the non-technical names.
My index finger is pointed out straight, and rides on the spine of the saw...Social Finger and thumb do the main grip..along with the palm..no need for a "Death Grip", just enough to control the saw, is all....let the saw do all the work...al I need to do is...guide it along.

So...how many out there have their index finger alongside of a saw's handle...? 

Also of note:  Japanese saws do tend to have almost round ( oval) handles..
That is a problem for me.  I have to continually think about not using all my 4 fingers to hold the saw just the three.

Note the grip I use...

Force of habit for me....Index finger helps to guide the saw in the cut...and can feel it when a saw wants to twist a bit...