Moderators and members: E-mail scam?
I never got a notice. How do I become a VIP member?

carl
(08-03-2016, 01:14 PM)Carl Grover Wrote: I never got a notice. How do I become a VIP member?

carl

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Slap
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
$6.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

If your e-mail is visible on your user profile page, then it's easy enough for bots to harvest the e-mails and send you spam that is related (or seems to be related) to your hobby.  We can't really stop that on our end.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I think I am blaming WoodNet for not being careful with email addresses.  The email I got from WoodNet announcing the new website had every members email address clearly visible.  I was very irritated by that action and nearly quit the forum because of it.  I sent an email back to the staff at WoodNet alerting them to their error, but didn't get a response.  So much for a security upgrade.

Unhappy participant...for now...

tim
Interesting.... Yup, got one and it automatically went directly to Google Spam on the 2nd. Google knows it's garbage. Tim, you can disconnect from all outside services if you want good security. Otherwise, use a non-MS anti-virus software; and change it to a new brand every two years, or sooner.
I didn't get the email in my inbox or spam folder.
(08-04-2016, 03:15 PM)tim_leo Wrote: I think I am blaming WoodNet for not being careful with email addresses.  The email I got from WoodNet announcing the new website had every members email address clearly visible.  I was very irritated by that action and nearly quit the forum because of it.  I sent an email back to the staff at WoodNet alerting them to their error, but didn't get a response.  So much for a security upgrade.

tim

Many folks, myself included, have been getting these emails way before the upgrade. We were the lucky few, I guess.

Don't forget to ask for a refund for the dues payed on your way out.

e deploribus unum

Go them a while ago, then they stopped. Figured they spammed everyone they wanted, Started up again today. Also been getting them from some sunglass company, figure they're one and the same group of idjuts. I don't know if it will help or not, but I just added the email address to my trash rules. Hopefully it won't prevent me from getting any legit emails from this group.

Spam, the next best thing to political robo-calls.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(08-04-2016, 03:15 PM)tim_leo Wrote: I think I am blaming WoodNet for not being careful with email addresses.  The email I got from WoodNet announcing the new website had every members email address clearly visible.  I was very irritated by that action and nearly quit the forum because of it.  I sent an email back to the staff at WoodNet alerting them to their error, but didn't get a response.  So much for a security upgrade.

tim

That was definitely an oversight on our part--simple human error.  And we do apologize.  

The new site really is more secure than the old one was.  You still get to choose how much of your information gets displayed publicly.  It's modifiable in the User CP (i.e. User Control Panel).
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop