Contemporary Lounge Chair
In honor of the recent thread mentioning the decline in original projects, I submit this contemporary lounge chair I just delivered. I'm probably on the younger side as far as woodnet is concerned, but I don't participate in any social media, and I've been browsing forums for as long as I can remember. I normally don't post my work because I'm lazy about documentation and photography.

The design drawing. Some of you might have seen my previous posts about this style of design. I can talk through it if anyone is interested. 

[Image: y7XX1Yt.png]

The finished product. (Client had just moved in, requests pardon on the clothing.) Solid cherry throughout, poplar used in the seat boards. Satin varnish over Sealcoat, then a little bit of wax. Upholstery was done locally. Didn't come out exactly how I wanted, but I blame that on my not knowing anything about upholstery before the project.  

[Image: zRfcaZz.jpg]
[Image: 3V9Ixzc.jpg]

Shop shots: 

[Image: QNux8RP.jpg]

Joinery detail. I sometimes use different metals as wedges, but opted for soft maple.

[Image: 9g9h29g.jpg]

Leg in the rough. They were laminated out of 6/4 material, each half of the larger mortises cut before glue-up of the massive lap joints. 

[Image: QXyH5Pl.jpg]

Funny, the images showed up fine in the editing window. 
No
Frustrating: your links aren't "open," so clicking on them brings an error message.  I'm not familiar with the particular photo host you're using, but on Photobucket, there's a link labeled "share" that's available to anyone.

Looking forward to the techy problems getting fixed, so I can see your design!
I think they're fixed now. Really frustrating.
Yep, they're fixed now, at least for me; I can see everything just fine.

I like how you chose to continue the line of the backrest all the way through the joinery, rather than splitting the angle between back and legs.  A small detail, but a graceful one.

And using what the Brits call "folding wedges," two wedges working opposite each other, is uncommon in furniture, and cool.
Bravo!!!   That's a handsome lounge chair!
Chris
(08-20-2016, 03:21 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Yep, they're fixed now, at least for me; I can see everything just fine.

I like how you chose to continue the line of the backrest all the way through the joinery, rather than splitting the angle between back and legs.  A small detail, but a graceful one.

And using what the Brits call "folding wedges," two wedges working opposite each other, is uncommon in furniture, and cool.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what looked "stronger", as far as the legs went. I knew the lap joint would be sufficient with just the glue, but was afraid it might look fake, for lack of a better term. So I dug a small v-groove in the seam to make it stick out. 

I think the folding wedges (never heard that term before) are easier to control, and look a little better, especially when driven from the side. I like to make things disassemblable, so I frequently use wedges and pins, but also only to hold parts that are already locked into place by the pressure/weight of normal use. I try not to depend on them to actually hold a piece together.
Very sharp in both design and execution, Joel! You clearly possess a great deal of talent.

Dave
Very, very nice.  Thanks for the pics Joel.
John: Struggling along with a "piece of junk" table saw
"I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what looked "stronger", as far as the legs went. "

I was less concerned about the apparent strength - I think they look plenty strong, and would have the other way, too.  My feeling is that the eye follows the backrest down through that line and thinks it will go all the way to the floor, and, oh look, it doesn't!  The surprise is a pleasant kick to the senses.
I am with Bill Houghton, that design element looks great. If it was me, I would force the foot legs to the same splayed angle. But, that's me. Cherry is a very attractive wood. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I will take your explanation for design at "what you say--or, show".

I will break dormancy when the lawn does, cooler weather, and venture into the wood pile. This last week has been our worst of the summer, and the AC died a week ago.

Bruce