My Generator Won't Start
(11-04-2016, 06:00 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I'm going to pull the board tomorrow and Monday try to call Briggs and Stratton.

Way off the wall question... would it be possible to make my own control board using something like a Rasberry Pi?

I saw on-line one place that had repaired or used boards at about $650. Obviously overpriced for what you are buying.

I'd first try to see if I could replace or bypass the failed component. That component might go to one of the safety circuits and could be bypassed temporarily. One would have to map out the trace to find out. Obviously, if one could find a part number on the chip, it could be replaced.

I was not able to find any generic control boards that could be adapted.

I was also thinking of a Raspberry Pi solution, but I figured for that amount of effort, I'd rather work a few hours mowing lawns and spending the money on a new generator. At some point, its just not worth the effort.

I'm thinking you should sell it on Craigslist (noting its flaws) and get what you can out of it and start over.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Well I called Briggs this morning. I got a PN for their newer board that hey says will work in place of the old one. Pinouts are supposed to be the same on the new board, the wiring harness fits. He did say I'd have to replace the transfer switch, but I don't have one anyway. The PN he gave me I know I looked at online a couple times already and wondered if it i would work

As to using a Pi or Arduino, I was at a maker fair yesterday and got to talking. mostly out of desperation I asked one of the guys about this problem and his response was "sounds like a fun project".
Laugh Honestly if I knew what I was doing, I'd be doing that already....

Adding a big thanks for everyone's help and suggestions so far.
So, what is the part number he gave and what does it normally fit?

Edit to add: Looks like you may have a workable situation. Glad they could help.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
When you powered up the board with the 12 v battery could a wire for the transfer have become grounded or touched another one of the wires that had gone to the transfer switch ?    I have a feeling that that is the part that is burnt.    Have you taken a close look at the board especially the back ?    The short could have caused a open in the 12v on the board which would also feed the other control functions.   
 I am assuming the 2 scrs side by side is what controls the 12v to the transfer relay coils.   Since you don't have the transfer switch they won't matter, but the 12v needs to go to the rest of the board.   Roly
(11-07-2016, 02:24 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: So, what is the part number he gave and what does it normally fit?

Edit to add:  Looks like you may have a workable situation.  Glad they could help.

PN I got is

191652GS

It fits newer model 50A/10KW generators than mine.
(11-07-2016, 02:42 PM)Roly Wrote: When you powered up the board with the 12 v battery could a wire for the transfer have become grounded or touched another one of the wires that had gone to the transfer switch ?    I have a feeling that that is the part that is burnt.    Have you taken a close look at the board especially the back ?    The short could have caused a open in the 12v on the board which would also feed the other control functions.   
 I am assuming the 2 scrs side by side is what controls the 12v to the transfer relay coils.   Since you don't have the transfer switch they won't matter, but the 12v needs to go to the rest of the board.   Roly

That could be.  I did a lot of messing around with it on and off over the last few weeks.  The back isnt burn't its only those 2 components.  

that's a good guess on the relays.  I got the only drawing they have of the board I have.  the 2 blown components aren't specifically labeled but the pinout of the connector is, and the visible paths I can see on the board go to pins 3 and 4 in the drawing.

(11-07-2016, 04:21 PM)crokett™ Wrote: PN I got is

191652GS

It fits newer model 50A/10KW generators than mine.

There is 1 on e-bay for $40 right now. Go get it!

I have no idea what the extra connector headers on it are for though.

Follow-up...

I think you need the wiring diagram for the unit this is supposed to go with to figure out what all the extra connectors and relays on this board do. I'd guess one of the connectors goes to a display you don't have and might not need. I'd also guess some of the other signals might have to be shorted or shown a proper signal for the board to work.

Do not short out or jumper anything unless you are sure it is needed which is doubtful.   Compare pin out on both boards they look about the same but did not check closely.     B&S may be able to help if you need to anything other than plugging in to existing connector.     I would also think the other connector is for a display.    Roly
Any update if you got it working yet?
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."