A "New" Pencil
OP here.  My original post was simply to inform those interested in the availability of a "new" pencil.  Interesting how fast the topic got almost derailed, always interesting comments.
So, for an update, I was back at HD yesterday looking for a different item, right close to the pencils.  A man walks past me, gets down on one keen and grabbed a handful of the same pencils. I commented to him how much i like the new pencils, he looked at me with a giant smile and said "YES!!!!!!  Great pencils, this is my second batch, love em!!!!" Then he grabbed about 10 more, about 30 in all, and walked away with a big smile.  Well how could I resist, Grabbed 10 more and wandered over to check-out.........................
(02-25-2017, 11:56 AM)opticsguy Wrote: OP here.  My original post was simply to inform those interested in the availability of a "new" pencil.  Interesting how fast the topic got almost derailed, always interesting comments.
So, for an update, I was back at HD yesterday looking for a different item, right close to the pencils.  A man walks past me, gets down on one keen and grabbed a handful of the same pencils. I commented to him how much i like the new pencils, he looked at me with a giant smile and said "YES!!!!!!  Great pencils, this is my second batch, love em!!!!" Then he grabbed about 10 more, about 30 in all, and walked away with a big smile.  Well how could I resist, Grabbed 10 more and wandered over to check-out.........................

LOL!

We had a guy come in to quote hardwood floor installation and he was extolling the virtues of these pencils. His biggest compliment was to the quality of the lead, which stood up to usage by carpenters and such without breakage.
chris
Last time I bought "Beginner pencils", I paid over a buck each on Amazon.
I went to my local HD store & got 25 of these this morning.
Thanks for the heads up.

I figured I better buy them while I can. The way HD works, you'll only get one chance to buy them & when they're gone, they're gone for good.
I always wondered if some of the stocking problems on popular items comes from MBAs overthinking it.  They buy something that sells out immediately, so there's no stock.  So for some period of time, they have no sales.  If the no sales period is too long, they don't re-stock because it doesn't sell well enough.  I swear this happened to my favorite dental floss at the only store that carried it.  They would get some in and it would sell out almost immediately, then it would be months before they would restock.  Then they stopped carrying it and I have to get it from the interwebs.
The description reminds me of those fat pencils kids used in elementary school that I absolutely hated. I'll pass.

Instead, I'm actually using pencils like I used in elementary school and high school. My uncle was office manager for a small oil company. He have us gross boxes of their advertising pencils. I still have a small hoard that I hope lasts me out. Round. Centered high-quality lead. After more than 50 years, the erasers are still good as new.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(02-26-2017, 11:14 AM)EricU Wrote: I always wondered if some of the stocking problems on popular items comes from MBAs overthinking it.  They buy something that sells out immediately, so there's no stock.  So for some period of time, they have no sales.  If the no sales period is too long, they don't re-stock because it doesn't sell well enough.

This happens all the time around here. I can recall lots of items being in stock, selling out quickly, then never stocked again.
Once in awhile, you find someone that has one on Ebay, but they usually want an arm & a leg for it.
When my wife moved here from Canada, I told her if she sees something she likes, buy it immediately. It won't be there later if you decide to wait.
She has found that to be the case on more occasions than she will admit to.
(02-25-2017, 11:56 AM)opticsguy Wrote: OP here.  My original post was simply to inform those interested in the availability of a "new" pencil.  Interesting how fast the topic got almost derailed, always interesting comments.

This thread is not even in the top 10 of the "time to derailment" contest...
Wink

I don't have the HD version (glad to hear they exist as they are cheaper!) but I do have some of the Ticonderoga ones I bought several years ago.

Mostly I use either a 0.9mm or 0.5mm mechanical though for wood marking if not using a knife.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
What I really miss is the mechanical 1.1 pencils we had in the military.  They were strong enough not to break with my heavy hand and the lead will sharpen nicely too.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-28-2017, 01:52 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What I really miss is the mechanical 1.1 pencils we had in the military.  They were strong enough not to break with my heavy hand and the lead will sharpen nicely too.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_...77DZQIMI23

Does this search cough up anything useful?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(02-24-2017, 03:40 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: That HD fat pencil was originally made as a school pencil, meant for 1-3 graders.  In the cool suburb of Chicago known a Oak Park, there is a vintage stationer's store  that still stocks yellow ones from Ticonderoga.  Some of that thick size are still given out by construction companies.  The Pieritz Bros.store also still has good sharpeners, although Boston has apparently sold out to Exacto.  Both of my Bostons were USA made, but the Exactos are off-shore production.

That's my new bathroom, on the other side of my Boston sharpener. It's my buddy
Yes

[Image: 20170227_101154_zpsaqdy3x9e.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS