Chopping Mortices?
Does anyone have a good tutorial on the most efficient and accurate way to chop mortices? I am building a screen door and have 6, 2.5+" mortices to chop. I could drag out my hollow chisel mortices, but I would prefer to do them by hand if I can do them right.

Pedro

Edit to add- 3/8" mortice using a 3/8" Narex morticing chisel. About 4" long.
I miss nested quotes..........
https://youtu.be/q_NXq7_TILA

Or any other videos Paul Sellers has done on the subject. It's the no frills, no muss, no fuss method I use all the time.
I'm not sure, but I bet our friend in Perth may have one.
(05-19-2017, 04:33 AM)David Knight Wrote: https://youtu.be/q_NXq7_TILA

Or any other videos Paul Sellers has done on the subject. It's the no frills, no muss, no fuss method I use all the time.

Yup, Sellers is the man.
Semper fi,
Brad

Roy Underhill chops mortises on the Woodwright Shop quite regularly with lots of tips. He advises only hitting socket chisels with a mallet and never tang chisels.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

+1 on Sellers.  His videos are fantastic.
Paul Sellers has several good ones, he is a proponent of using a bevel edge bench chisel instead of a mortise chisel. Have to admit that his method works fine, but my mortises are better when I use a regular mortise chisel. His mortise behind glass is a classic example of his method.

Enjoy doing them by hand, there is just something about the process, how simple the tools are, and how well it works.....

Have fun,
Andy

-- mos maiorum
One point to consider when watching methods demonstrated behind a glass screen is that this is made easier by the screen. In practice, those starting out may find that a traditional deep mortice chisel blade offers better directional support. Someone with much experience, such as Sellers, could chop mortices with a screwdriver. Don't set out to master this method slavishly. Experiment with a few different chisels.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
There were a few videos over the past few years from something called  "GE Hong"   a Chinese woodworking forum on youtube.   The fellow  has his own FAST way of chopping mortises.    Nice when the mallet is halfway into the swing, and he is still moving the chisel...and never misses.  

I do have a few older mortise chisels I use.....

Mainly with a mallet.

layout out a mortise, I use the tenon that will be going there.    yes, I make the tenons first.   I trace around the tenon, while it is being held in place.   I use the chisel that matches the size of the tenon.   Normally, I work with the bevel away from me, until I get to the other end of the mortise, then a chop with the bevel towards me.    I clean things out, and go again.    I also tend to sit on the shop stool at the bench while chopping 

For doing some types of mortises, I use a jig to hold the "target" still..

Just three boards,   I can attach the bottom to the bench either with clamps or screws.   I size the gap to match the part being mortised.     I slip the part into the jig, and a finger clamp to hold the part..

I keep the tenon handy, for test fits..

These were on the ends.  Doesn't really matter where, as I can slide the part as needed.   I use the Visegrip clamp because it is fast and simple to use.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I recommend looking at Kees van der Heiden's video. Even though he is a beginner, he has a much better grasp of technique than Sellers. We have used mortise chisels for at least 400 years, probably millennia.
Kees mortising