drywall lifts vs. 2x4 T
I installed close to one hundred sheets of drywall by myself when I did my house remodel. For the larger rooms I rented a lift for the ceilings. For the smaller rooms I used a T-brace and cleats. I used 1/2" ceiling drywall (called CD board) on all of the ceilings. My truss spacing upstairs is 24" o.c. 

https://www.buildgp.com/toughrock-cd-ceiling-board

When working alone using a T-brace, it's easier if you use a cleat to support one end of the drywall sheet. The link below shows a couple of kinds of cleats.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/1992/03/...ll-hanging

Here's another idea. You could make something similar out of a piece of 2x2 with a metal tab on each end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfPgMaLupfI
I bought a set of cleats "boardmate"
(05-18-2017, 08:08 PM)EricU Wrote: the HF is $200.  Not sure about Amazon, cheapest there is $136.  Going to HF is a day wasted for me.  I probably could sell it for a decent price, but that's more time wasted.  Our craigslist is pretty low on tools.

put a wanted ad in the tool section somebody has one that is collecting dust they no longer want
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I am a huge fan of the lift.  Rented it for dirt compared to hiring a helper.  Longest rental was like a month and it still was a no brainer.  I was able to hang 12' sheets by myself by carefully lifting one end at a time onto the lift with the feet down near the floor.   I used scrap lumber to raise the sheet a bit at a time while leaning it against the other sheets so I did not break the ends in transferring to the lift.  

Would never consider hanging more than about 6 sheets without a lift. Breakdown and set up takes like 5 minutes.  Can position, make additional cuts/refinements, and reposition as many times as you need to get the sheets exactly right.  I am a DIY-er so I am not worrying too much about going fast.  Slow and steady wins the race.  A lift makes it a pleasure, almost fun to hang rock.
sleepy hollow

Buy/rent the lift. Your neck and arms will appreciate it at the end of the day
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I am finally ready to put up some drywall on the ceiling.  I bought a lift off of Amazon, should be here Friday.  Probably keep it in case LOML is jealous and wants a drywall ceiling on her half of the basement.  Hopefully it folds down to a small space.

I figured I would have to rent it multiple times, and it would be a pain to take it back and forth. I think the one I want would be $35 a day, so it's about a wash. Having another piece of junk in the basement isn't ideal though
(08-22-2017, 11:08 AM)EricU Wrote:   Having another piece of junk in the basement isn't ideal though

Put some shelving on it (temp modification), set some potted plants on it and roll it over on Her side.
Uhoh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I agree, they are so cheap you might as well buy one. The storage thing is exactly why I haven't....plus the fact that I intend to never do drywall again....
No
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I rent someone else to do the ceilings. They can use whatever method they want. Worth the money.
Winkgrin
there is wisdom in  hiring out a job like this.  I'm getting pretty tired of it not being finished

I'm going to make it into a clothes hangar for the laundry and pretend it has always been down in the basement