The Master and the Apprentice 1: Look Who’s Talking (article)
Quote:In our woodworking world, “celebrity” woodworkers are often cited, shared, and their techniques rehearsed. Individuals are propped up to be masters of their craft, regardless of their technique. It’s often because they are the ones with the marketing effort.

The Master and the Apprentice 1: Look Who’s Talking
Looks like you have dived into the deep end with this one Jordan....

Personally, the few comments made here by Warren Mickley (spell?) have helped me more than most others.  I had to let the strong words wash over me to learn the lessons tho....
Skip

(08-30-2017, 03:01 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Looks like you have dived into the deep end with this one Jordan....

Perhaps! A chance to learn for me.

Thanks for reading & sharing a bit of your journey.
I would agree with Mickley and many of the unsung like him. Sellers made his bones before coming on the internet scene, and does his damndest to teach by showing you don't need the latest whiz-bang to do good work.

Most of the others were self promoting themselves, in one way or another, while they learned their craft. Particularly onerous are those that deny their blogging/careers/self promoting, that got them (or getting them) here.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Also particularly onerous are the yucksters for which it is all one, big joke and the wood butchers that make videos that promise a project and then show a sped up time lapse of a bunch of disjointed operations with little or no explanation - my $.02 rant
I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!
(08-31-2017, 07:49 AM)DaveLeard Wrote: Also particularly onerous are the yucksters for which it is all one, big joke and the wood butchers that make videos that promise a project and then show a sped up time lapse of a bunch of disjointed operations with little or no explanation - my $.02 rant
I just love the youtube hucksters passing themselves off as experts just to drive clicks to their advertising, and people actually follow their advice.  I saw this linked in another forum, and although this guy might not be a huckster as he seems honest and enthusiastic, but in my opinion, he certainly is incredibly misinformed about how to properly sharpen a saw, indeed, he calls slope "fleam" - and is absolutely butchering a very nice saw.  Watch, if for nothing else but giggles......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTRpLmZqS6w
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-31-2017, 08:27 AM)Admiral Wrote: I just love the youtube hucksters passing themselves off as experts just to drive clicks to their advertising, and people actually follow their advice.  I saw this linked in another forum, and although this guy might not be a huckster as he seems honest and enthusiastic, but in my opinion, he certainly is incredibly misinformed about how to properly sharpen a saw, indeed, he calls slope "fleam" - and is absolutely butchering a very nice saw.  Watch, if for nothing else but giggles......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTRpLmZqS6w

+1

Watched one the other day where the guy kept pronouncing "strop" as "strope" with a long "Oh".  Drove me nuts!  (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/strop?s=t)

Whole video was his idea of a sharpening rig where you have sandpaper on one side of a block, a leather strop on the other.  And then you keep resting the whole thing on the bench.  One side will always be down on the bench, grinding bench detrius into either the leather or contaminating the sandpaper.  Was also enamored of an overly complex method for setting depth stops to place blades in Eclipse style sharpening jigs.  Whole video seemed contrived just to fill up space and make it look like his channel has content.  So of course I watched the whole thing... 
Uhoh
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(08-31-2017, 08:27 AM)Admiral Wrote: I saw this linked in another forum, and although this guy might not be a huckster as he seems honest and enthusiastic, but in my opinion, he certainly is incredibly misinformed about how to properly sharpen a saw, indeed, he calls slope "fleam" - and is absolutely butchering a very nice saw.  Watch, if for nothing else but giggles......

I love his response to kindly worded feedback in there comment section on what he was doing incorrectly-"Thanks. for me it is all about the fun and less about perfection." I suppose it also could be all about generating YouTube revenue!
(08-30-2017, 02:13 PM)JQuacker Wrote: The Master and the Apprentice 1: Look Who’s Talking

As a dear friend once told me:
Quote:There are those who do, and those who talk do-do.

Jordon, you have been writing a lot about the ethos of woodworking. Out of curiosity, do you build furniture? I cannot find any pictures on either your website or FaceBook page.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Do I? Yes. Have I made but a couple of pieces? Not yet. It's why I haven't opened my mouth about furniture-building techniques or how-to's.

My Instagram is my most updated media channel, for what it's worth.