Recent finds and a "whatsit"
I finally caved and went hunting this weekend. Things weren't too bad and I came home with some goodies. Thought I'd share and see if someone could tell me what one of the tools is. Let's start with that one. Here's a pic.
[Image: LMB7GQIm.jpg]
[Image: wx1h99im.jpg?1]
It looks to me to be some sort of sharpener. The rod has no grit. Any ideas? Next are the "prizes"
[Image: yHfAhfMm.jpg]
This is a VERY nice set of James Swan auger bits. Even the box is in great shape.
[Image: I4iXhaim.jpg]
Very nice set of greenlee turnscrews
Cool 
[Image: jreVHEzm.jpg][Image: ArVHQAQm.jpg]
Minty set of Irwin auger bits
[Image: oDeDt6qm.jpg]
Very nice K3 base set
[Image: dVkdunMm.jpg]
NOS 42 saw set and 220 block plane. There were some other items, but they were all pretty mundane. Thanks.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(09-03-2017, 10:02 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: I finally caved and went hunting this weekend. Things weren't too bad and I came home with some goodies. Thought I'd share and see if someone could tell me what one of the tools is. Let's start with that one. Here's a pic.
[Image: LMB7GQIm.jpg]
[Image: wx1h99im.jpg?1]
It looks to me to be some sort of sharpener. The rod has no grit. Any ideas? Next are the "prizes"
[Image: yHfAhfMm.jpg]
This is a VERY nice set of James Swan auger bits. Even the box is in great shape.
[Image: I4iXhaim.jpg]
Very nice set of greenlee turnscrews
Cool 
[Image: jreVHEzm.jpg][Image: ArVHQAQm.jpg]
Minty set of Irwin auger bits
[Image: oDeDt6qm.jpg]
Very nice K3 base set
[Image: dVkdunMm.jpg]
NOS 42 saw set and 220 block plane. There were some other items, but they were all pretty mundane. Thanks.

I think the what's it is a bobbin or spool winder.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
(09-04-2017, 04:37 PM)Boatman53 Wrote: I think the what's it is a bobbin or spool winder.
Jim

Google image search did not find anything. I wondered about those possibilities.

My other thought was the rotating part of an apple peeler.

That is a really strange looking gear setup.

Dave: does turning the crank really spin the rod? Is the rod tapered?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Head back to Google and search 'vintage bobbin winder' and you will find several examples.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
(09-05-2017, 08:37 AM)Boatman53 Wrote: Head back to Google and search 'vintage bobbin winder' and you will find several examples.
Jim

Thanks guys. Ivan, the rod is tapered. The only markings I can find are the "GAJ" on the wheel and "SWEDEN" stamped into the perimeter of the wheel.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
With no cheat, no looky: it's a dental drill.

Ahhh..... .... 

Big Grin
Funny I went on a hunt this morning came home with some nice stuff too.  I got one of these after already going through place once and loading up my finds.  I haven't seen one shown here but then I haven't looked until today.  This isn't the one I found but pretty much the same condition and probably just as tricky to pick up without shedding blood

[Image: %24_57.JPG]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.