A motorized ball valve to shutoff water to my house
Sometimes what you might think is the right action to take to avoid a problem can unintentionally be the thing that creates the problem.  For example, as we were leaving the house to visit relatives for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, I shut off the water in the house (using the shut-off valve in the basement) and let the sinks run to eliminate the pressure in the pipes.  We returned home a few days later late at night so I went to bed soon after I opened the shut-off valve.  What I didn't realize was that the water line for the icemaker (inside the freezer) had frozen while we were gone due to inactivity so the line was plugged by ice.  When I turned the water back on after we returned, the water pressure dislodged the icemaker water line outside the freezer just enough for it to start leaking but not enough that the leak was easily detected.  By the time we woke up the next morning, enough water had leaked from the now-loosened water line and had gotten under the hardwood floors in the kitchen to cause 5-6 planks to swell and slightly buckle.  Although the 3/4" thick planks only had to be sanded and refinished after they were dried out, we have an open floor plan so the end result was that the entire first floor of the house had to be sanded and refinished.  My insurance did cover everything above my deductible (and we took the opportunity to change the color of the floors) but the entire experience was frustrating since I was trying to do what I thought was the "right thing" by turning the water off while we were gone.  Instead, I created the problem.  Had I not shut the water off, the supply line to the freezer wouldn't have dislodged itself when I turned the water back on and allowed the water to leak out.  Oh well......
Upset
Would have an "on demand" water heater have eliminated that issue?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
In my office I use a device called Floodstop.  It has a sensor that sits in the catch pan of the water heater.  Moisture will set off the alarm and turn off the supply side of the heater. It has contacts that can be used with your security alarm.  About $150.00.
KISS

1/4 turn of a ball valve always worked for me.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(09-22-2017, 09:02 AM)jteneyck Wrote: When you leave the house you arm the security system and flip the water switch off, the opposite when you return home. 

Do you have a tank water heater or a tankless?  If a tank heater, there is a fire risk if you turn off the water but not the gas for the water heater.
(09-25-2017, 01:59 PM)Cooler Wrote: or buy flood insurance.

Flood insurance covers floods from external water like storms, not broken water pipes.
I just have a 120 volt solenoid water valve in my shop.  It is hooked up to my lights so when I shut the lights off the water is off
(09-28-2017, 01:12 PM)geek2me Wrote: Do you have a tank water heater or a tankless?  If a tank heater, there is a fire risk if you turn off the water but not the gas for the water heater.

I have a tank type water heater, old school style.  There is an expansion tank plumbed to the cold water supply.  How is there a fire risk if the water supply is shut off? 

John
(09-28-2017, 05:53 PM)fixtureman Wrote: I just have a 120 volt solenoid water valve in my shop.  It is hooked up to my lights so when I shut the lights off the water is off

Solenoids draw power all the time, and they don't last all that long if constantly energized. 

John
(09-28-2017, 07:57 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I have a tank type water heater, old school style.  There is an expansion tank plumbed to the cold water supply.  How is there a fire risk if the water supply is shut off? 

John

If the tank leaks, the water evaporates, or the tank otherwise runs low or runs out of water, the tank can explode or catch fire.  In addition, water can be separated into component gases in small quantities, but if the quantities build up enough they can explode.

Risk is likely on the low side, but it does happen.