Planing dovetails?
(10-04-2017, 12:55 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: No Bruce ... just a bad joke. I was surprised, though, to see him belt sand his dovetails in the recent FWW video. I struggle to imagine how that will avoid rounding over the edges.

I always plane inwards. I used to work with a sharp, low angle jack plane. Now I like the LV Custom #7 Jointer as this has a 40 degree bed, can be set up with a closed chip breaker, and will plane into grain. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, how have you been?

Anyhow, I also seem to recall a PWW or PWW article where he also used a belt sander to "level off" inset drawers. More power to anyone with sufficient muscular control to be able to perform such a task!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(10-03-2017, 11:19 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Just two words ....

belt
sander

.... if Becksvoort does so, why argue?
Crazy

Regards from Perth

Derek

+1
I find it ironic that a belt sander would be suggested in a hand tool forum.  That said, more power (pun intended) to those who have enough control to be able to use a belt sander without destroying your drawer in the process.  Using a belt sander for somewhat delicate work if you're not practiced or without the proper skills is an invitation to disaster.  I could maybe see taking the drawer to a stationary belt sander.  I just don't think it's wise to take a portable belt sander to a drawer than you've invested a fair amount of time with hand cut dovetails, only to risk taking off too much material, rounding over corners, and whatever else might happen with unskilled use of a portable belt sander.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-06-2017, 10:34 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Derek, how have you been?

Anyhow, I also seem to recall a PWW or PWW article where he also used a belt sander to "level off" inset drawers.  More power to anyone with sufficient muscular control to be able to perform such a task!

Good Tony, thanks. It's been a busy year. 

Any more daughters to marry off (I have a son of 24 ...)?  
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(10-07-2017, 06:49 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Good Tony, thanks. It's been a busy year. 

Any more daughters to marry off (I have a son of 24 ...)?  
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

Two married off, one to go, but she's only 17, and has lots of school ahead!

Four grand babies-2 boys, each three and 2 girls, each one. One of my grandsons spent several hours with me (along with my son-in-law) in the shop this morning. I don't know which is the bigger novice! Now, for last year's Christmas, I built each older girl a work bench, saw horses, Roy Underhill style tool tote, complete with basic handtools (both older girls are quite handy).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com