It's Official - I'm Moving Cross-Country
Today I was made a formal offer to relocate to Orlando.  Same corporation - different company.  This will likely be my last move, since I only have a few more years until retirement.  It's a great move for me.  I move from a highly taxed state with 9.75% sales tax to a state with no state income tax and a paltry 6.5% sales tax.  Better schools.  Far less traffic.  Just about everything is cheaper there than here.  And I still get nice weather (albeit with high humidity).  It's looking like the move will take place mid-to-late January.  I'm still recovering from a knee replacement (things are going marvelously, thank you).  I've been here 15 years.  Moving is always a chore, but Lord knows I've moved 25 times before (military brat, then active duty military), so this won't be a new thing for me.  Now I gotta learn to pay attention to rust.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Sounds like a timely move, congrats!
Check in with Jack (Timberwolf) for some local knowledge, he's in the Tampa area, Clearwater if I'm not mistaken, not so far down I-4 from Orlando; I used to spend a lot of time for work in Orlando/Tampa area, you can find some really nice places to live, but I just can't take the heat of summer and neither can my bride. I'm sure you'll like it down there.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-22-2017, 03:38 PM)AHill Wrote: Today I was made a formal offer to relocate to Orlando.  Same corporation - different company.  This will likely be my last move, since I only have a few more years until retirement.  It's a great move for me.  I move from a highly taxed state with 9.75% sales tax to a state with no state income tax and a paltry 6.5% sales tax.  Better schools.  Far less traffic.  Just about everything is cheaper there than here.  And I still get nice weather (albeit with high humidity).  It's looking like the move will take place mid-to-late January.  I'm still recovering from a knee replacement (things are going marvelously, thank you).  I've been here 15 years.  Moving is always a chore, but Lord knows I've moved 25 times before (military brat, then active duty military), so this won't be a new thing for me.  Now I gotta learn to pay attention to rust.

Let me be the first Floridian to say welcome. I've only been back in Florida since May 15 of this year, but Florida always seemed like home to me. I spent a total of 11 years here during the 1960's and 1970's while in the military - four different assignments - graduated from both Florida Keys Jr. College and the University of Tampa while on active duty.

I've not found that the heat and humidity to be so intolerable, but I have a newly built, high-efficiency home. Then too, I've had my garage insulated very well and had a Mitsubushi mini-split heat pump installed to make work in the garage shop more tolerable. To date, I've only encountered two minor spots of rust - one on a Hock blade in my block plane, and one on the table of my Mini Max band saw. I took care of both of them quickly.

I think you'll like it here. The pace of life is much different in the panhandle than over in central Florida, but it's a nice place to live, and to retire.

r2
Hope and Pray everything goes smoothly for you and the family.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Do a check on the price of homeowners and flood insurance. You might be surprised.
chris
Enjoy! Hope you are recovered enough. This can test new parts. I'll wave to you the next time your hurricane blows through the Puget Sound. I have a brother in Jacksonville. The big blows are my ques to call him.
Hopefully, congratulations are in order. Congratulations.

Traffic on I-4 during rush can rival the hazards of the LA expressways. You would prefer to live on the same side of the city as your job.

If you buy in an area with an HOA, be sure to read the by-laws carefully before making your final choices. I used to get a lot of my Shopsmith stuff from a guy in Plant City. He often got them really cheap (and gave me some great deals) because people moved into developments where the home owners were not allowed to use power tools at any time of the day. If they needed work done that required power tools, they had to hire a contractor.

The mosquitoes there are no where near as bad as here. I do not think that the tiger mosquitoes have spread that far yet. Still, I expect that the skeeters are worse there than you are used to. Those screen rooms have more utility than I thought when I first saw them decades ago.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(11-22-2017, 11:56 PM)iclark Wrote: If you buy in an area with an HOA, be sure to read the by-laws carefully before making your final choices. I used to get a lot of my Shopsmith stuff from a guy in Plant City. He often got them really cheap (and gave me some great deals) because people moved into developments where the home owners were not allowed to use power tools at any time of the day. If they needed work done that required power tools, they had to hire a contractor.

This must have been the great Bill Mayo you're talking about, RIP.   Met him once in Dayton in 2008.

Looking forward to hearing more about Florida!   I visit there maybe once every 1-2 years.

Chris
Chris
(11-23-2017, 07:37 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: This must have been the great Bill Mayo you're talking about, RIP.   Met him once in Dayton in 2008.

Looking forward to hearing more about Florida!   I visit there maybe once every 1-2 years.

Chris

Well, {bleep} ! I had not heard. RIP indeed.

Yes, I was taking about Bill. I had not seen him since shortly before his Alzheimer diagnosis. Last time that I checked in at the Shopsmith forum, he was still active there.

The place that he and the love of his life shared in Plant City was a house that he modified to meet their needs and wants. The addition that he built for her sewing machines and embroidery machine was a marvel of functionality and lighting. He was a creative gentleman and a very good craftsman.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.