LN #3 with High Angle Frog?
LN 4-1/2 that I put a 55 frog in. It controlled some of the tearout but was tough too push.
I bought the LN toothed blade for it and that cured the tough pushing problem.
It deals with gnarly grain real well.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

A LN #3 with a 55 degree frog will be my next smoother. I can't afford a Sauer so a LN #3 will get me closest to the performance. With the 55 degree frog, I can fit a larger tote, which will make my hands happier. I'll probably add a larger knob to match the larger tote. I like my LN anniversary 4-1/2 but need a smaller smoother for smaller scale work.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin
(12-01-2017, 02:52 PM)dave brown Wrote: A LN #3 with a 55 degree frog will be my next smoother. I can't afford a Sauer so a LN #3 will get me closest to the performance. With the 55 degree frog, I can fit a larger tote, which will make my hands happier. I'll probably add a larger knob to match the larger tote. I like my LN anniversary 4-1/2 but need a smaller smoother for smaller scale work.

I still haven't had the opportunity to pick one of these up, but I still think this is the best choice for me when I'm ready.
(12-01-2017, 03:17 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: I still haven't had the opportunity to pick one of these up, but I still think this is the best choice for me when I'm ready.

I thought the same thing a while back, chose the 50 deg, as the 55 would be harder to push, very happy with the 50 on figured cherry and maple.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
To be contrary, I figured 'what's 5 degrees?', so got the 55 with my #4 and standard 45 frog. The 55 is like plowing through granite where the 45 does fine in our quilted Western Maple. I don't think I would want to use the 55 frog, so if anyone wants it, sing out, or I will forget it again. 

Have a couple #3 Stanleys but don't see a need to use them.
Howdy folks, haven't posted on here in ages.

Anyway, yeah, I have a LN 4.5 with the 50 degree frog. At one time I didn't think I'd need one but on a project for my wife I ran across a figured cherry board that was just giving me fits. So I ordered one and it worked really well compared to my usual smoothing planes.

[Image: table_top.jpg]

I've also considered getting the 55 degree frog for my #3 LN.
I wrote about this earlier, so for those that skip reading posts ... learn to use the chipbreaker with the standard angle frog. The higher beds on Bailey style planes makes them much harder, and unpleasant, to push.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(12-03-2017, 02:35 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Howdy folks, haven't posted on here in ages.

Anyway, yeah, I have a LN 4.5 with the 50 degree frog. At one time I didn't think I'd need one but on a project for my wife I ran across a figured cherry board that was just giving me fits. So I ordered one and it worked really well compared to my usual smoothing planes.

[Image: table_top.jpg]

I've also considered getting the 55 degree frog for my #3 LN.

Nice figure! I didn't know cherry got that crazy.
Long time ago..picked a #3 plane.....

That once I cleaned it up, including getting rid of the red paint on the handles...

And sharpened up the Made in West Germany METRIC width iron.....wasn't too bad.   The frog seat was angled, though.  The bottom of the frog was flat.   Sold as a Dunlap ( Estes?) the iron set at 50 degrees..York Pitch.    Was  a bear to push, at all but the thinnest settings.  Otherwise, it was the same size as my other #3 sized planes...

I think I kept the Millers Falls No. 8....out of these four.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Bandit, in your last photo, what make is the plane there on the left?