Stinky propane
Ran out of propane for the shop heater the other day and had to get a project done for daughter moving into her new apartment... 

So I just took a bbq bottle down the street as the propane place is closed and are the only ones that fill my big bottles and swapped it at the grocery store. First thing I noticed was I didn't recognize the company doing it. Got home hooked up the bottle and gas is coming out as I hook it up. Seems the hand valve leaks and only the backup valve is holding the gas in... 

Fire up the heater and wow does it stink. It smells like I was running a diesel or kerosene heater. I had another bbq bottle nearly empty and it burned nice and clean. 

So for the propane gurus what contaminates in their propane would make it smell so bad?
Maybe they added to much *stinkie* to the gas.
Yes, they add that smell to LP as LP naturally has no smell.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Don't use it!  Very dangerous with the valve malfunctioning.  Return it and put a tag of some kind on it so the company will inspect it.

Lonnie
(01-03-2018, 06:52 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Don't use it!  Very dangerous with the valve malfunctioning.  Return it and put a tag of some kind on it so the company will inspect it.

Lonnie

I have a plug that I put in it when not in use that seals it when not hooked up. Not a problem when in use. I did write on the bottle bad valve so they will have to look at it. Nothing new have seen that with forklift bottles etc. It's only an issue when there is nothing hooked to it or it doesn't have a brass plug in it. Not my first or last time dealing with valve issues on bottles usually it's the big tall torch bottles... 

The smell is what's odd. Doesn't smell like mercaptain  (not sure how it's spelled) smells like diesel/kerosene. Same smell on a catalytic heater as well. 

I won't buy that brands overpriced propane again. The other places with a more well known brand were across icy bridges that day and I was trying to make a short trip...
That's a new one on me, sounds like you have a plan. Can't imagine what they did to produce that smell...
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-04-2018, 06:58 AM)fredhargis Wrote: That's a new one on me, sounds like you have a plan. Can't imagine what they did to produce that smell...

Call the company that filled it.   They may be aware of what causes it.   Roly
Just read where if paint fumes are burnt in a ventless heater they will produce that smell. But you said a older bottle did not smell so I would call them.
(01-03-2018, 05:42 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:            So for the propane gurus what contaminates in their propane would make it smell so bad?

that i cant answer. however, with that propane exchange, ya may notice less running time as the tanks  arent filled as much as at a refill place.
Did the valve on the tank have green or blue corrosion on it ?  If so the local police may be interested as the tanks can be used to store anhydrous ammonia.   Roly
(01-04-2018, 09:07 AM)Roly Wrote: Just read where if paint fumes are burnt in a ventless heater they will produce that smell.  But you said a older bottle did not smell so I would call them.

Having wood floors refinished will make a natural gas system smell funny, including water heater and furnace.  Gravity vent systems seem to leak just enough fume that the polyurethane (or whatever) used for the floors can stink the place up.  DW called the gas company once, right after having the floors refinished, and the first they asked was 'did you have your floors refinished?'.  
Laugh 

Probably no bearing on this case, but it's interesting (to me) nonetheless.  
Sarcasm
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I have returned a couple of tanks (BBQ size) over the last year.  Smell was very strong.  Lowes exchanged them no problem.  They were Blue Rhino brand.  Haven't had an issue with them in the past.  I always make them give me a tank with a 'new' looking valve on it.  I used to go to a propane supplier and the filled tanks were definitely much heavier than what I get from Lowes, Menards, HD, etc., when I just exchange them.

Lonnie