Pedestal sink
We have a pedestal sink in our downstairs bathroom that was originally attached to the dry wall with plastic anchors.  Those anchors have pulled out and in doing so, created a fairly large hole in the drywall (relatively speaking).  The hole is too large for any anchor now, and of course an anchor would not hold if I just patched the hole.  

I need to get this sink secured to the wall.  If this was your issue to handle, what would you do?

Thanks,
Matt
Remove enough drywall to fix the anchor hole. Wood can be repaired/replaced.

Pictures would help here
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

How about a molly bolt or toggle bolt?
(01-07-2018, 01:09 PM)cams2705 Wrote: How about a molly bolt or toggle bolt?

Along the same lines, [Image: wingits-hollow-drywall-anchors-rc-mawsd35-2-64_1000.jpg]These are called Wingits and are rated at 300 lbs, or this  [Image: hilti-hollow-drywall-anchors-3512329-64_1000.jpg]called toggler bolt  Both spread the load more so than a toggle bolt.  Roly
(01-07-2018, 01:22 PM)Roly Wrote: Along the same lines, [Image: wingits-hollow-drywall-anchors-rc-mawsd35-2-64_1000.jpg]These are called Wingits and are rated at 300 lbs, or this  [Image: hilti-hollow-drywall-anchors-3512329-64_1000.jpg]called toggler bolt  Both spread the load more so than a toggle bolt.  Roly

Those toggler bolts may be big enough; I'll do some measuring and see. 

The first suggestion of removing and replacing drywall, I am trying to avoid that if I can.  I am miserable at repairing/finishing drywall; it is like it is not in my DNA or something.   But if that is what I have to do, I'll suck it up and figure it out. 

Matt
(01-07-2018, 02:02 PM)matthewstimp Wrote: Those toggler bolts may be big enough; I'll do some measuring and see. 

The first suggestion of removing and replacing drywall, I am trying to avoid that if I can.  I am miserable at repairing/finishing drywall; it is like it is not in my DNA or something.   But if that is what I have to do, I'll suck it up and figure it out. 

Matt

I was the same way until recently.  All you have to do is cut a new piece of drywall just larger than the current hole.  Then put it over the hole and draw around it with a pencil.  Cut the drywall on the pencil line.  Put a piece of wood behind the new hole and screw it in with drywall screws top & bottom (or both sides whichever way you orient the wood).  take spackling (sp?) and put over the joint and screws.  Sand when dry.  If it's behind / beneath the sink that should do it, then paint it.  I'ts really that easy.

HTH,  Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I had the same problem.  I removed the stucco/plaster board over to the studs on either side, inserted a 2 X 6 vertically on its side between the studs, screwed it into the studs on either side, cut a piece of plaster board to cover the hole, and then put the screws to hold the pedestal sink through the new plaster board and into the 2 X 6.  That was ten years ago--no problems at all since then.

Al
Al (doc1)
I think that Joel was writing while I was writing.  Do what he did--it's basically the same as what I did.

Al
Al (doc1)
(01-07-2018, 03:53 PM)doc1 Wrote: I had the same problem.  I removed the stucco/plaster board over to the studs on either side, inserted a 2 X 6 vertically on its side between the studs, screwed it into the studs on either side, cut a piece of plaster board to cover the hole, and then put the screws to hold the pedestal sink through the new plaster board and into the 2 X 6.  That was ten years ago--no problems at all since then.

Al

Yes, add structural blocking. I think Joel was suggesting the backing only as a way to hold the drywall patch.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Google California drywall patch.
No wood stick required to hold the drywall patch in place.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020