Please help me figure out who made these fine saws.
The OP could check in with Bob Summerfield, out in Missuola, Montana.....he sometimes made saws like that.   Started placing an etch on all of his work just last year, IIRC.    He hangs out over on the "saw" threads at LJs...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-11-2018, 08:29 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...............
The only woodnetter I know of making saws with a folded brass back in that period or before, was Nordic..because he and I exchanged information on the bending fixture he made for that purpose...Not sure if Mike Wenzloff was folding backs during that time but it's possible..I know at first the saws he made had slotted backs.

I don't think they are Nordic's (Norse Woodsmith) saws.  He had always placed his trademark on the brass back - early on with humble individual letter stamps and later with a custom made rollmark complete with blade etching.

[Image: Norse_Saw_l.JPG]
[Image: Type+4+Cocobola+Trio.jpg]
[Image: Type+4+Etch.jpg]
Cian - adding no value whatsoever
(01-12-2018, 10:27 PM)Cian Wrote: I don't think they are Nordic's (Norse Woodsmith) saws.  He had always placed his trademark on the brass back - early on with humble individual letter stamps and later with a custom made rollmark complete with blade etching.

[Image: Norse_Saw_l.JPG]
[Image: Type+4+Cocobola+Trio.jpg]
[Image: Type+4+Etch.jpg]
Cian - adding no value whatsoever

Yeah, I knew you had some of Leif's saws, Cian..His "trademark" was the long "horns" he put on his handles and the "folded back spines"...much longer than the ones in the OP photo..Those saws appeared to me to have folded backs but I couldn't be sure....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-12-2018, 10:24 AM)iclark Wrote: KlausK. and Pedder (Two Lawyers) used to offer magnificent saws here in SnS but that got slowed down when one of them developed a severe wood allergy.

We still offer saws, but it has become a bit slower. Ups in Downs in health and in the main jobs.
We still are hobbyist maker and nver made more than one saw a week.

And we just make saws to the order of customer. Only once or twice had an extra exemplar to offer in the SnS section.

The dovetails are made by Youngmoses and the tenon saw could be make by many to the old pattern.

Cheers
Pedder
I believe "Young Moses" usually has a table at the annual Patina gathering, coming up early in March, this year.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(01-13-2018, 07:00 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I believe "Young Moses" usually has a table at the annual Patina gathering, coming up early in March, this year.

Tony does he have a blog or anything?

I'm about 88.5% certain that it was Youngmoses who made all 4 of these saws. I'd like to touch base with him if I get the chance.

I appreciate everyones input as always.
Smile
None of those are any that I did, those are much later (better too).  I did make three or four batches of saws in the 2004-2006 time frame, probably around 100 of them or so?  I did them as a challenge when someone said that it wasn't feasible for someone to do it in a home shop...  There weren't too many folks making them at the time - Vlad Spehar, Adria Toolworks...  Pete Taran had sold Independence to LN in '98 or so...
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
(01-14-2018, 10:56 AM)Nordic Wrote: None of those are any that I did, those are much later (better too).  I did make three or four batches of saws in the 2004-2006 time frame, probably around 100 of them or so?  I did them as a challenge when someone said that it wasn't feasible for someone to do it in a home shop...  There weren't too many folks making them at the time - Vlad Spehar, Adria Toolworks...  Pete Taran had sold Independence to LN in '98 or so...

Yes, and IIRC Vlad made the horns on his saw very large and long, plus he epoxied his brass backs like a sandwich onto the saw plate.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-13-2018, 08:43 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Tony does he have a blog or anything?

I'm about 88.5% certain that it was Youngmoses who made all 4 of these saws. I'd like to touch base with him if I get the chance.

I appreciate everyones input as always.
Smile

Can't answer that, as I really don't know!

I have an Adria, and these saws look nothing like it.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tim Hoff marked his saws on the brass spine. I had one for many years and it was an early one of his. Spruce Tool works possibly?

Any chance they are from Andrew Lund? I believe that was his name. He was a medic and I believe he quit to make saws full time. He quit making saws last I knew and he didn’t make them for very long.