Segmented Turning Calculator
I've just put up a new Segmented Turning calculator on blocklayer.com some of you may find interesting.
https://www.blocklayer.com/woodturning-segmentseng.aspx

It just works out the geometry for the segments, with visual animated diagrams so you can see what you end up with.
I'm not a wood turner, so any ideas, or if it needs editing, additions or fixing please let me know.

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-10-2018, 11:17 PM)Blocklayer Calcs Wrote: I've just put up a new Segmented Turning calculator on blocklayer.com some of you may find interesting.
https://www.blocklayer.com/woodturning-segmentseng.aspx

It just works out the geometry for the segments, with visual animated diagrams so you can see what you end up with.
I'm not a wood turner, so any ideas, or if it needs editing, additions or fixing please let me know.

Very good  thanks
I checked your math for a sample case and notice that your program rounds to the nearest 32nd. My preference is for greater accuracy, but I know most people are more comfortable with imperial measurements.

Overall I like it and particularly the "margin of error" calcs. I think this will speed up the overall process of design.

Now if only I would get off me arse and make the seggie sled.
Laugh I'm such a Neanderthal.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(01-11-2018, 11:57 AM)SteveS Wrote: I checked your math for a sample case and notice that your program rounds to the nearest 32nd. My preference is for greater accuracy, but I know most people are more comfortable with imperial measurements.

Overall I like it and particularly the "margin of error" calcs. I think this will speed up the overall process of design.

Now if only I would get off me arse and make the seggie sled.

Thanks SteveS

I've dropped it down to 1/64" rounding, and added the option to display the segment dimensions as decimal inches. 
It now also has inner and outer 'margin' settings, to allow for curved or angled sides.
Will look at adding calculations to find correct margins for required side angles next.
(01-11-2018, 11:57 AM)SteveS Wrote: Now if only I would get off me arse and make the seggie sled.

a sled implies a tablesaw.  I haven't done segmenting, but one wonders why you don't use a miter saw to cut the segments?  set a stop block, and the angle and cut away.
There are jigs designed to cut segments on a miter saw too.
It is a matter of preference.
(01-14-2018, 07:29 PM)crokett™ Wrote: a sled implies a tablesaw.  I haven't done segmenting, but one wonders why you don't use a miter saw to cut the segments?  set a stop block, and the angle and cut away.

I currently use a chop saw to make my segments, but the seggie wedge system and table saw are far more accurate since it is very difficult to make segments with fractional degree angles on the chop saw, thus resulting in gaps in the rings that have to be corrected, usually by making, then sanding half rings.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Jerry Bennett is the one who invented the Wedgie sled and the segeasy plates

http://www.segeasy.com/

And his Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd8Qkm6...QSKu-o1Vog

Jerry was so nice that he gave us 4 of the templates that fit on the wedgie sled.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I would like to say both Welcome and Thank you for showing us the link to your program.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.