SHELLAC
Zinser bulls eye has three versions of shellac.
The sealcoat version is listed as clear and dewaxed
The traditional version has an option of clear or amber.

Is the traditional version dewaxed ?

Does anyone know what the comparable cut ratio using flakes would be, compared to the sealcoat and traditional versions are?

looking to finish a house full of window and door casings, using a process demonstrated by Roland Johnson.
The plan is to do 3-4 coats of wipe on shellac (1lb cut) on the pieces in my shop.
Attach pieces to door and window openings.  Fill nail holes with putty. wipe on a coat of waterlox original varnish.

Still debating whether to use original or marine version of waterlox.

Looking to start with a small amount of zinser shellac to experiment with and if all goes well then switch to shellac flakes.
My .02
Karl

Googling found all of the answers I was looking for, on a 13 year old SMC thread.
Finishing/sealing version that comes in clear and amber is a 3lb cut containing wax.
I'm heading out to pick up some of the Sealcoat version which is a dewaxed 2lb cut.
I'll be checking the cans to try to confirm the old info and to check the date of manufacture.
My .02
Karl

What you found is correct today and it would be wise to check the code dates, if you can figure them out. For whatever reason Sealcoat is getting harder to find anymore, but the clear and amber seems to be in stock at least at the places I frequent.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-20-2018, 10:51 AM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: Zinser bulls eye has three versions of shellac.
The sealcoat version is listed as clear and dewaxed
The traditional version has an option of clear or amber.

Is the traditional version dewaxed ?

Does anyone know what the comparable cut ratio using flakes would be, compared to the sealcoat and traditional versions are?.....

Hello - as to your statement above in bold - you likely have already found the answer(s), but below is a chart that might be useful (LINK) - I've used several shellac flake products over recent years, both from J.E. Moser, as shown in the second pic (LINK), i.e. the Super Blonde & Garnetlac (both dewaxed) - can be purchased at the link given or on Amazon - also, checkout Home Finishing Products, Jeff Jewitt's place (have a bunch of his books and DVDs).  BTW - just made a 2 lb. cut of the Garnetlac a few days ago - once dissolved no wax layer was present, so I'm good to go on a new red oak project.  Good luck!  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Last several times I've ordered flakes it has been from Wellermart. Cheaper than any other source I can find. Dewaxed, good quality, no complaints.

Sealcoat is more convenient and can be dyed as an alternative to using garnett flakes, etc.

Selacoat is a 2# cut, dewaxed. Amber and clear are 3# from can and have wax. Aerosol is clear and seems to be dewaxed and much lower solids content.

You can partly dewax Amber and clear by letting it settle and decant.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(01-20-2018, 02:07 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Last several times I've ordered flakes it has been from Wellermart. Cheaper than any other source I can find. Dewaxed, good quality, no complaints........................

Hi Rob - thanks for the mention of WellerMart - I've not bought shellac from them and about half the price of the J.E. Moser offerings - in you don't mind me asking, are the flakes shipped in a bag, screw-on container, or other?  Thanks - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
The only place I can find Sealcoat in the Kansas City area is Woodcraft in Lenexa, KS.

(01-20-2018, 04:39 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: The only place I can find Sealcoat in the Kansas City area is Woodcraft in Lenexa, KS.

You can buy two one gallon cans from Home Depot, with free delivery to your door, for an excellent price.  Link  

John
Well, I just visited WellerMart and ordered a half pound each of their 3 Shellac offerings - total order about $44, a great savings from the Moser ones that I've bought for years - assume the quality will be the same and nice to have all 'de-waxed' products, so not to worry about my additional finishing regimens.

Now, since this is a 'shellac flake' thread, I do have a question on which 'alcohol' to use for the dissolution of the flakes - combo pic below are the products that I've used in the past, basically a 'de-natured alcohol' bought locally (Ace, Lowes, Home Depot) and Behkol, a more expensive proprietary alcohol mixture in my understanding - SO, does it make a difference to use the cheaper solution?  If so, why or why not?  Comments and opinions appreciated - I've used both over many years and find little difference.  Thanks - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(01-20-2018, 05:49 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You can buy two one gallon cans from Home Depot, with free delivery to your door, for an excellent price.  Link  

John

First stop was Tru-Value hardware.  No sealcoat in stock or carried at all.  They did have the Zinsser Bulls eye shellac finish in quart cans.  Being that they contain wax, I wasn't interested.  Most of the date stamps on the cans were misprinted and not readable. Of the two that I could read one was made in 2016 one in June 2013.  An associate asked if he could help and confirmed that they didn't carry what I was looking for.  He suggested ordering from their website.  When I mentioned the out of date shelf life, he showed no interest.

Next stop after lunch was home depot. Sealcoat was in stock in gallon size $ 37.98. Date of manufacturer was Jan 2017........... Sold
My .02
Karl