Please help me figure out who made these fine saws.
Pretty sure it was Youngmoses, because I bought two saws from him during the same time period and they look very similar.
(01-18-2018, 01:30 AM)Shawn Stennett Wrote: Pretty sure it was Youngmoses,  because I bought two saws from him during the same time period and they look very similar.

I think so too, Shawn. Do you know what has become of him?
(01-18-2018, 05:34 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: I think so too, Shawn. Do you know what has become of him?
I have 3 saws that David Young re-handled for me at least 7 years ago.  One of them is an old docking saw that now has a nice wooden handle.  The handle on the half-back looks just like two of the handles that he made for me.  

I don't do dovetails, but recall how nice his dovetail handles were.

If I recall, David stopped making saws at least 5 years ago when he bought a huge tool collection from an estate and was busy selling it off.  Not sure why he never got back into making saws.

Steve
(01-14-2018, 10:56 AM)Nordic Wrote: None of those are any that I did, those are much later (better too).  I did make three or four batches of saws in the 2004-2006 time frame, probably around 100 of them or so?  I did them as a challenge when someone said that it wasn't feasible for someone to do it in a home shop...  There weren't too many folks making them at the time - Vlad Spehar, Adria Toolworks...  Pete Taran had sold Independence to LN in '98 or so...

Sooooo.... are we atarting back up again? 
Smirk
(01-13-2018, 12:29 PM)Pedder Wrote: We still offer saws, but it has become a bit slower. Ups in Downs in health and in the main jobs.
We still are hobbyist maker and nver made more than one saw a week.

And we just make saws to the order of customer. Only once or twice had an extra exemplar to offer in the SnS section.

The dovetails are made by Youngmoses and the tenon saw could be make by many to the old pattern.

Cheers
Pedder

Hi Pedder,

My apologies for saying it poorly. I have very fond memories of the posts of the wonderful creations that you were making. As you remind me, those posts were here in hand tools.

I continue to hope that both of you find yourselves blessed with good health and time to enjoy yourselves.

very respectfully,
Ivan
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(01-18-2018, 11:56 PM)Cian Wrote: Sooooo.... are we atarting back up again? 
Smirk

It would be fun - no plans to at this time though.  

My next project is already underway:

[Image: IMG_3958.JPG?itok=aAD0xmGs]
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
(01-19-2018, 01:05 PM)Nordic Wrote: It would be fun - no plans to at this time though.  

My next project is already underway:

[Image: IMG_3958.JPG?itok=aAD0xmGs]

Very nice indeed.  Building an electric guitar is on my bucket list.  Will have to pick your brain later.
(01-14-2018, 10:56 AM)Nordic Wrote: None of those are any that I did, those are much later (better too).  I did make three or four batches of saws in the 2004-2006 time frame, probably around 100 of them or so?  I did them as a challenge when someone said that it wasn't feasible for someone to do it in a home shop...  There weren't too many folks making them at the time - Vlad Spehar, Adria Toolworks...  Pete Taran had sold Independence to LN in '98 or so...

I know two guys who are still making the folded saw backs......
Wink
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
(01-22-2018, 09:15 PM)Blacky Wrote: I know two guys who are still making the folded saw backs......
Wink

Hmmm, might they be in a garage?????  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-22-2018, 09:15 PM)Blacky Wrote: I know two guys who are still making the folded saw backs......
Wink

Where's the link Dom? I'm still trying to find the time to try my hand at building a few.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com