Axe Recomendation
(01-17-2018, 05:18 PM)Admiral Wrote: SNIP>>>>
https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-26-Wood...elling+axe

Oh, get yourself an axe sharpening puck too, just in case.

I used and sharpened hundreds of axes, pulaskis, and double bits for forest fire fighting The Collins are a great tool. But.....

Get yourself a new axe. There is no reason to think an old one has been well cared for. They do all kinds of things to them. The Husqvarna looks decent. Also, you will enjoy a good file over a puck stone. You aren't finish planing. It's dead lodgepole under a layer of dirt. A file is faster, and what you want. Our pucks were quickly 'lost', if there were ever any to have. Most guys used disk grinders on a regular basis anyway.
(01-18-2018, 08:28 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I used and sharpened hundreds of axes, pulaskis, and double bits for forest fire fighting The Collins are a great tool. But.....

Get yourself a new axe. There is no reason to think an old one has been well cared for. They do all kinds of things to them. The Husqvarna looks decent. Also, you will enjoy a good file over a puck stone. You aren't finish planing. It's dead lodgepole under a layer of dirt. A file is faster, and what you want. Our pucks were quickly 'lost', if there were ever any to have. Most guys used disk grinders on a regular basis anyway.

The husqvarna is a Very nice axe.  You will not be disappointed.
(01-18-2018, 09:43 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: The husqvarna is a Very nice axe.  You will not be disappointed.

Some people are...read the reviews......
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-17-2018, 12:42 PM)Scoony Wrote: I am going on a Elk hunt this fall in a wilderness area in Colorado. We will be getting packed in on horses and living in a wall tent for a week. Outfitter's recommended gear list included an axe and splitting maul. I already have a splitting maul, but I do not have any full size axes.   I do have and use small hatchets around the house, but a full size axe will really only get used maybe once a year on these hunting trips.

Without going over $100, what would you guys recommend? I would like a nice axe, but I don't need a top of the line axe. If anything, I would spend the $ on a hatchet and go a little cheaper on a full size axe. I have been looking online at the Huskavarna forest axe, but it gets mixed reviews.  

Just don't want to get a piece of junk that will bounce off wood while I am out there.
If you're concerned about buying a Collins, check out the Estwing 26" Campers axe..For the money, it's hard to beat Estwing..they make good, reliable tools and they last.....$54.00 amazon..

BTW..I just tested the edge on my Estwing hand axe with an almost new file..It wont scratch it...means it is about 60Rc or better because a file is 62/63Rc. It will hold an edge.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have an Estwing hatchet. I want to like it. It's nicely shaped, hefts well, and holds its edge well. My one, big gripe with it is that, because of the one-piece construction, I can't choke up on the handle and use it for real hewing. So for cutting limbs and splitting kindling it can't be beat. But it's nearly useless for any kind of shaping work, which is a pity.

So when I reach for a hatchet, it's usually my clumsy, wooden-handled Craftsman hatchet because I can actually choke up on the handle.

Oh, and as with all other cutting tools, the sharpness of the edge counts a whole lot more than the exact design of the tool. Sharp fixes everything.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Helko Werk makes a nice hand forged axe
(01-19-2018, 02:13 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: I have an Estwing hatchet.  I want to like it.  It's nicely shaped, hefts well, and holds its edge well.  My one, big gripe with it is that, because of the one-piece construction, I can't choke up on the handle and use it for real hewing.  So for cutting limbs and splitting kindling it can't be beat.  But it's nearly useless for any kind of shaping work, which is a pity.  

So when I reach for a hatchet, it's usually my clumsy, wooden-handled Craftsman hatchet because I can actually choke up on the handle.

Oh, and as with all other cutting tools, the sharpness of the edge counts a whole lot more than the exact design of the tool.  Sharp fixes everything.
" So for cutting limbs and splitting kindling it can't be beat. But it's nearly useless for any kind of shaping work, which is a pity."

I can second that, for sure... for hewing it is absolutely no good..but for chores like you mentioned, it's is hard to beat...they keep their edge and are nearly indestructible...You won't be sharpening them with a file.
No . They have been made the same way for many years and they are for sale at Borgs everywhere..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I'm 35 and I have had this Estwing hatchet for 20 years.  The leather handle is falling apart but I should be able to fix that....

I really like that hatchet.  I also like the Stihl Pro Forestry Axe pictured here.  That is my second one.  The work I do with axes is not condusive to their longevity.  It is made by Ochsenkopf.  The reinforced haft makes this thing uber durable.  Yeah, it hits right at that 100 dollar mark.  It is not for everyone and it lacks the elegance of a Wetterlings or Gransfors but it is a hard working tool for those who keep the polish in the cupboard.

---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
All real men should own an ax and know how to use it.

But, if you are going on a hunt with a large group of guys,
how many axes does the group need to take?

Just a thought.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(01-24-2018, 12:53 AM)MarkSingleton Wrote: All real men should own an ax and know how to use it.

But, if you are going on a hunt with a large group of guys,
how many axes does the group need to take?

Just a thought.
Hmmmm...do you want some strange jasper using your hi-dollar name-brand axe ??? I didn't think so..... Real men want their own axe.....
Laugh
Laugh

Get off my lawn !
Upset