Fried a battery charger. Fixable?
(02-02-2018, 01:18 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Explain please.
Winkgrin

As I understand it, it will conduct when there is a overvoltage on the power supply circuit.   Then it shorts the output to blow a fuse.  This happen far quicker than a fuse.    This is at my limits as far as electronics.    I worked with the power end.  Roly
I found the schematic online for the charger and it uses a varister circuit instead of a thyrister. It is a device that varies its resistance according to the voltage. Twice the voltage is just too much for it. On ebay they have kits to change the charger from 120v to 240v for use in those areas. The kits are $25-$30 but my worry would be if any other components were damaged in the charger. Roly
(02-02-2018, 10:48 AM)Roly Wrote: I found the schematic online for the charger and it uses a varister circuit instead of a thyrister.    It is a device that varies its resistance according to the voltage.  

Thanks
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

So mystery solved. Someone on another forum pointed out my mistake after I posted a picture of the label. It reads "120V~240W, 50/60Hz". It's not 120-240V, but using 240W at 120V.

So lesson learned and thank goodness Amazon delivers here.
Wait, I see that you "live" in Maryland as well. Since when did the Eastern shore become classified as "overseas" ?
Laugh

Just kidding. I'm glad you decided to get a new charger.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(02-03-2018, 09:05 AM)museumguy Wrote: Wait, I see that you "live" in Maryland as well. Since when did the Eastern shore become classified as "overseas" ?
Laugh

Just kidding. I'm glad you decided to get a new charger.

We've been here all of 4 days so I haven't been able to update everything yet.  Although where we used to live in MoCo, you'd think you might be in a Central American country.  I do miss me some Peruvian chicken, though.
(02-03-2018, 12:44 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: We've been here all of 4 days so I haven't been able to update everything yet.  Although where we used to live in MoCo, you'd think you might be in a Central American country.  I do miss me some Peruvian chicken, though.

Yeah, you gotta love the multi culture of the D.C. area. You can get any and every type of food, from the ingredients to make your own to going to a restaurant to eat someone else's cooking, lol. I hope you get settled in and all goes well. I'll send ya some crab cakes,
Big Grin
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(05-30-2021, 07:47 AM)Rebrean Wrote: You can't fix a fried battery charger. You just need to buy another one. There are three major reasons for the battery not charging, the first being the poor input source or the charger being in protection mode, the battery temperature being outside of normal charging range, and the safety timer expirations. One of the usual mistakes that people do when they buy a battery charger is that they don't check the compatibility before they purchase it. At his link you can find a lot of articles on how to determine the compatibility of your battery charger and how to choose the best battery charger.

Spammer...

Bam !!!
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(06-01-2021, 10:01 AM)barnowl Wrote: Spammer...

Bam !!!

If you quote the spammer's link, you have done half his work for him.

He doesn't care if it's in his post or yours.