60 1/2 Block Plane Question
Picked up a 60 1/2 Stanley yesterday at an estate sale (ok, $5). It had a lot of light surface rust and after cleaning it I found there is no 60 1/2 stamped on the side. The adjuster knob has the usual Stanley stamped on the end and the iron has the usual "Stanley" logo with "made in USA" underneath except the logo and print is smaller than usual. The lever cap has more arch compared to two others I have and the machined surface where the iron beds on the body is five times as large as the other two I have. The top edge of the iron is completely rounded and there is a Z stamped on the bottom. I'm thinking this is an earlier version of the 60 1/2 than I usually see but am puzzled that the 60 1/2 is missing from the side. Anyone seen this?
IIRC, the 60 1/2 stamp on the side wall came about during the WWII era.

(02-10-2018, 07:41 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: IIRC, the 60 1/2 stamp on the side wall came about during the WWII era.

Not all are marked, I can't say when they started, but the proof is in the pudding, sharpen it up and see what happens, I'm sure it will be just fine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-10-2018, 07:55 PM)Admiral Wrote: Not all are marked, I can't say when they started, but the proof is in the pudding, sharpen it up and see what happens, I'm sure it will be just fine.

I've picked up nearly dozen 60-1/2's through the years, at flea markets, etc., usually for a couple of bucks. About one out of four seem to be marked.

I was rehabbing one yesterday, and it is marked, but what is unusual about it, is the moveable toe portion was shorter than normal. A close examination did not show any evidence of the previous owner grinding it shorter, but the effect is, the mouth will not close up as much as I would like.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Maybe the slider part was replaced by another one?  Not all sliders are alike.   Same with the eccentric lever...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
If you've got one of the earlier ones, count your blessings; later models have a really narrow bedding for the iron, right behind the mouth.
The best way to determine the vintage of your plane is most likely by the logo stamp on the iron—that is if it’s original. The most important attribute, in my humble opinion, is the thickness of the castings. 60 1/2 stamp or not, give me one with thick castings. I just finished a fettling on one for a friend and the navy blue castings were thin. Worrisome as you lap the sole flat on a granite plate and then tighten down the lever cap with the straight head screw. All while checking the mouth for cracks.....Blood and Gore says not to worry about the blue castings with the LA version block but it’s not as good as the earlier black ones—anyone whose handled their fair share would agree.

This one works just fine..

That "maroon" colour is called Cordovan
Winkgrin  

Original box..
Cool  

And stamped 60-1/2......been used a lot in the last few projects....

I do have a #9-1/2 in the shop..Couple actually.....there is a type 2 sitting in the till...
Cool  

Second from the left....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that