"laochra aingeal"
Bruce - 1st question, the base - how do you turn/shape the curved base while accommodating the feet?
While I've never tried carving, I'd like to try? I must admit it's a bit intimidating. How hard is it to replicate the work ?
Thanks a bunch
David
(02-24-2018, 09:38 AM)DCM Wrote: Bruce - 1st question,  the base - how do you turn/shape  the curved base while accommodating the feet?
While I've never tried carving, I'd like to try?  I must admit it's a bit intimidating.  How hard is it to replicate the work ?
Thanks a bunch
David

David I have some photos of the other legged box I turned it was done the same way the only difference was I glued a piece to the bottom of each leg on this project. As far a replicating the carving work I do each leg as a small project, one leg at a time following the same steps on each leg; there will always be small variances that only you will see. These photos are only one way this can be done; be very careful while cutting these type of projects the spinning wood becomes very sharp.

Attached Files Image(s)

Bruce - ok I see how you did that one, but how did you shape the curved portion between the legs in the other?I can also see the danger with this method - must be careful. Did you glue the additional wood for the feet after the lathe work?
I sure appreciate the assistance & look forward to giving it a try.
David
(02-24-2018, 11:10 AM)DCM Wrote: Bruce - ok I see how you did that one, but how did you shape the curved portion between the legs in the other?I can also see the danger with this method - must be careful. Did you glue the additional wood for the feet after the lathe work?
I sure appreciate the assistance & look forward to giving it a try.
David

David Yes the bottom part of the legs / feet were glued on after turning then shaped by hand as were the parts between the legs a Dremal w/ 40 grit sanding drum was used here. the parts that were glued on came from the off cuts from the dome lid, I had band sawed a circle first leaving 4 triangles they were glued on w/ CA glue. There is a great deal of hand work in this piece I worked on it on and off for all most two months. I hope this helps you and I would like to see what you come up with when you can share.
My piece was chosen for TOTW on WoodTurners Umlimited

http://www.woodturnersunlimited.com/foru...f=6&t=5562
(02-26-2018, 05:23 AM)Splinterz25 Wrote: My piece was chosen for TOTW on WoodTurners Umlimited

http://www.woodturnersunlimited.com/foru...f=6&t=5562

Bruce - congrats on the well deserved honor!!
(02-27-2018, 09:43 AM)DCM Wrote: Bruce - congrats on the well deserved honor!!
Thank you very much David.
Well deserved Bruce!
(02-28-2018, 11:01 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Well deserved Bruce!

Thank you kindly for saying Frank.