This Old House
(03-11-2018, 09:42 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Was watching This Old House and Ask This Old House and the past few weeks I noticed Roger Cook is looking like there is something wrong with him. He has a sever limp now and looks very stiff in his movements. He is not doing the work he used to do. Does anyone know if there is something going on with his health?? I know these guys are getting older but even Norm looks like he has problems. Some time ago I thought I heard Norm had Parkinson but nothing was ever confirmed. That was why he stopped Yankee Workshop.

You ever look real close at Roger's fingers.  He is missing the tip off one of his fingers, I think on his left hand.
WoodTinker
(03-14-2018, 11:29 AM)WoodTinker Wrote: You ever look real close at Roger's fingers.  He is missing the tip off one of his fingers, I think on his left hand.

Lumberjack accident
John T.
this is interesting on tommy silva:
silva began construction at an early age, helping his father and brothers build a fallout shelter under their 1787 Colonial family house
(03-12-2018, 08:09 AM)daddo Wrote: We all talk as if they are getting older and we are not.
Laugh

I think the majority of guys who spent a lifetime banging nails have a ton of aches, pains or injuries to show for their effort.  I would not want to watch a video of myself over 20+ years to see much I've slowed.  Against Drs orders i was woodworking last week, even though I am on crutches, the wood was not going to cut itself.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-12-2018, 08:08 AM)thooks Wrote: I can't believe JET or Powermatic or another company hasn't picked up a decent woodworker and homebuilder and done a round two of NYW and TOH.

I couldn't imagine how many Delta and Porter-Cable tools were sold in the 80's and 90's because of those two shows.

Just think if there was a couple of shows with nothing but one major machinery brand and Ridgid portable power tools....and Home Depot signed a contract to carry and properly represent the major machinery brand...and sell proper woodworking supplies.

I have a theory that the Youtube woodworkers get free sawstops when they reach a certain number of viewers.  I think you have to have a good personality and be able to market yourself.  If you watch certain popular Youtube woodworkers over the years, a Sawstop suddenly appears in their shop.  I think it's a subliminal advertising.  "Look all the good woodworkers use this saw."
A carpenter's house is never done.
Can't find it now but my wife read a statement from Roger indicating he is having some health problems and taking a break from TOH.

The guy is clearly in pain, sure hope that clears-up for him ASAP.
(06-09-2018, 10:01 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Can't find it now but my wife read a statement from Roger indicating he is having some health problems and taking a break from TOH.

I watched him on Ask This Old House today and it is clear he has problems. He had a girl help him show some battery operated lawn tools. You can just see he has some sort of back or leg problems and looking worn out. Hope it is not too serious and comes back strong.
John T.
(06-09-2018, 10:01 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Can't find it now but my wife read a statement from Roger indicating he is having some health problems and taking a break from TOH.

Attached Files Image(s)

I hope he has a quick and full recovery.  I always enjoyed Roger's segments.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

This Old House is what got me interested in woodworking. In the 70' I got a Craftsman table saw and band saw. Made doll cradles, toy boxes etc. Then as the kids got older and it got harder to work out of a two car garage with two cars parked inside. Now I have a new 20' X 25' shop thats all mine. Now I have a new Powermatic table saw, band saw & jouinter and getting things set up.