OK so I need some insight on two tools
(03-12-2018, 10:00 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I am so glad you mentioned that.  I have something almost exactly like that which needs a V belt and has two oil ports on each side, however, I think the shaft is 1/2" and not 5/8" which I could shim anyway.  I now remember where I go it and it was EBay about 6 years ago for only $12.  I will have to find it and take a picture of it to let you guys see if it will work.

"I am so glad you mentioned that. I have something almost exactly like that which needs a V belt and has two oil ports on each side, however, I think the shaft is 1/2" and not 5/8" which I could shim anyway. I now remember where I go it and it was EBay about 6 years ago for only $12. I will have to find it and take a picture of it to let you guys see if it will work."

I should have mention this in the previous post Arlin..I think I know what type of mandrel you have and if I am right, it has bronze bushings...not ball bearing...IMO {and I have lots of experience in this}, the bronze bushing unit will not run true, which is especially bad with the weight of the CBN wheel....It will probably vibrate badly..in addition, it will sling oil
Upset
Upset ..Also as I said earlier, the CBN wheel must not vibrate. This means you need an accurate shaft and threaded mandrels that fit properly, both in the bearings and the wheel itself...At 3450rpm, you will not want to use a vibrating CBN wheel, trust me...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Jack

He has this one but do not know where he got it

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-23-197-8-In...ch+grinder

Also it looks a lot like the Porter Cable one

https://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-PCB5...ch+grinder

This one looks like it might be what I want but it is not VS which is not a deal killer

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-...ch+grinder

Tell me what you think of the last one please?

Or this one I just found

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Profess...ch+grinder

It is more money and will take me more to save for it but it has promise it also does not show the motor size.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-16-2018, 05:21 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Jack

He has this one but do not know where he got it

https://www.amazon.com/Delta-23-197-8-In...ch+grinder

Also it looks a lot like the Porter Cable one

https://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-PCB5...ch+grinder

This one looks like it might be what I want but it is not VS which is not a deal killer

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-...ch+grinder

Tell me what you think of the last one please?

Or this one I just found

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Profess...ch+grinder

It is more money and will take me more to save for it but it has promise it also does not show the motor size.
Arlin, of the two, I would choose the Craftsman..mostly because it is variable speed. But it appears to have much better tool rests also. I can't emphasize enough that I believe you would be more pleased with the ability to slow the CBN wheel down..They cut fast!!!!!!!..Maybe TOO fast. Plus as you know, vibration increases with speed and the weight and diameter of the wheels...Most of the weight of the CBN wheels is around the outer circumference of the wheel, which also exacerbates any vibration.

I checked the specs on the cheaper grinder and nowhere can I find the amp draw...They are claiming 3/4HP but I would want to know if they are using "locked rotor" amperage...Thats a "trick" lots of manufacturers use to over rate their motors.. Most manufacturers are proud to specify the amperage so this one gives me cause for concern. The tool rests don't look very substantial but that can be remedied if you want to go to the trouble and expense.

The Delta name has been around quite a few years but at one time the company was controlled by Rockwell..and was connected with Porter-Cable..PC at one time was as good as you could get and were top of the line IMO. My Bandsaw which I have had almost 30yrs is a USA made Rockwell-Delta. Prior to that is was just Delta, as it is once again.. So there has been a long association between Delta, Rockwell and Porter-Cable.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-16-2018, 09:54 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .....................
Arlin, of the two, I would choose the Craftsman..mostly because it is variable speed. But it appears to have much better tool rests also. I can't emphasize enough that I believe you would be more pleased with the ability to slow the CBN wheel down..They cut fast!!!!!!!..Maybe TOO fast. Plus as you know, vibration increases with speed and the weight and diameter of the wheels...Most of the weight of the CBN wheels is around the outer circumference of the wheel, which also exacerbates any vibration.

I checked the specs on the cheaper grinder and nowhere can I find the amp draw...They are claiming 3/4HP but I would want to know if they are using "locked rotor" amperage...Thats a "trick" lots of manufacturers use to over rate their motors.. Most manufacturers are proud to specify the amperage so this one gives me cause for concern. The tool rests don't look very substantial but that can be remedied if you want to go to the trouble and expense.

The Delta name has been around quite a few years but at one time the company was controlled by Rockwell..and was connected with Porter-Cable..PC at one time was as good as you could get and were top of the line IMO. My Bandsaw which I have had almost 30yrs is a USA made Rockwell-Delta. Prior to that is was just Delta, as it is once again.. So there has been a long association between Delta, Rockwell and Porter-Cable.

Jack

The tool rests will not be used on any of the grinders since I have the Oneway system and Robohippys tool rest which he makes to either fit Oneway or drill and screw it to wood.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(03-17-2018, 05:02 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Jack

The tool rests will not be used on any of the grinders since I have the Oneway system and Robohippys tool rest which he makes to either fit Oneway or drill and screw it to wood.
Arlin, just a thought, but electric motors are fairly plentiful in my parts and maybe in your area also..Have you checked Craigslist lately. You could just install the wheel on a good machined mandrel on the motor shaft and use your Oneway rest. Last year I bought a NEW one third HP Baldor capacitor start motor at Habitat for ten bucks! And last month in South Carolina, I bought a nearly new US made 1/2hp Delta motor for 20 bucks at a flea market. I left another similar Delta motor on his table as I didn't need another. Both looked like new and the one I bought runs great...I have another 1/2hp Double shaft motor with a deburring wheel on each end. I use it quite often...You may have seen pics of some of the machines I make using them.

I like that RoboHippy rest and may decide to buy one of his rather than spend the time to make my own.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Back-in-The-Day (1980's) I often saw grinders and polishing wheels powered by electric motor from old washing machine (maybe a dryer??) and a mandrel.

Not sure how efficient they were vis-a-vis the motor RPM. Playing around with the pulley diameter might be the answer. Might be something to consider
(03-17-2018, 09:42 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Back-in-The-Day (1980's) I often saw grinders and polishing wheels powered by electric motor from old washing machine (maybe a dryer??) and a mandrel.

Not sure how efficient they were vis-a-vis the motor RPM. Playing around with the pulley diameter might be the answer. Might be something to consider

Well if nothing else I can turn a pulley wheel any size up to 20" on my lathe

I have a hand-cranked grinder I can bring along in June.....5-6" wheel...

Some day, I just walk into a store, and buy a new grinder....
Rolleyes 

This old Craftsman seems to be holding up well....
Cool  as for the hand crank one
Rolleyes  

I just don't have a place to use it, right now...
No
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that