Need grinder advice
(03-19-2018, 04:57 PM)Bart Hovis Wrote: Scoony, which wheel did you order?  I was looking at the Spartan wheel, too, and it says it's aluminum.

I ordered the mega square wheel 180 grit. Call it the Derek Cohen effect. 
Big Grin
(03-16-2018, 10:50 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Scoony, I would not get a Spartan wheel. I really do not know what they are like, however one of the benefits I seek in a CBN wheel is its cool grinding. The all-metal wheels I have are like large heat-sinks. The Spartan wheel does not look like it can function that way. Stick to a tried-and-true metal 180 grit.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek

I have the 8" Spartan wheel 1000 grit CBN and it works great for turning tools for the last cut.  Ken also told me the 1000 wheel is best for the plane blades and chisels.  Just make sure to get the Self-Aligning Spherical Washer Sets

https://woodturnerswonders.com/collectio...asher-sets

I was lucky enough that he is letting me make payments for the 1/2 hp Rikon grinder and another CBN wheel.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Received the wheel today and tested it on a beater chisel. Wow oh Wow! this lets you grind the primary bevel in must less time compared to a regular wheel. I forgot to order the special washer set so I am ordering them tonight.
(03-21-2018, 07:41 PM)Scoony Wrote: Received the wheel today and tested it on a beater chisel. Wow oh Wow!  this lets you grind the primary bevel in must less time compared to a regular wheel. I forgot to order the special washer set so I am ordering them tonight.

Scoony, so you got the 180 wheel and it cuts that fast?  I was thinking about getting 80 and 220 wheels, and then sharpening on stones.
Yes, the 180 does cut fast and I really don't see the need for anything finer as It is very quick to finish sharpening with stones. The longest part for me was always grinding the primary bevel. Taking a pass or two then dipping in water and repeating. The CBN wheel will get the steel hot, but it takes longer verses standard wheels.
One more voice here:

I, too, have a cheap grinder--it's an old Montgomery Wards 6" grinder that I inherited from my grandfather. I put a blue Norton wheel on it and got myself a Veritas tool rest. The setup works great for establishing a primary bevel and repairing damaged edges. A diamond wheel dresser really helps keep the wheel in great shape. Just wear a dust mask when you use it--dust everywhere! You should, of course, already be wearing eye protection while grinding.

I typically grind my edges almost all the way to the edge, and then finish up on whetstones. I also keep a bucket of water handy, in which I regularly cool the tool as I grind it. Between the frequent quenching and the blue wheel, I haven't burned an edge in a long time now.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(03-22-2018, 08:28 AM)Bart Hovis Wrote: Scoony, so you got the 180 wheel and it cuts that fast?  I was thinking about getting 80 and 220 wheels, and then sharpening on stones.

Bart

Like I said get the 180 and what Kens advise to me is get the 1000 over the 600.  With the grinder and the 1000 wheel it was only $220 with the Spartan wheel.  The 180 for regrinding and the 1000 for touch up sharp.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
An 8" Baldor is hard to beat.
I have an 8" Baldor with a stone on one side and a wire brush on the other, this tool gets used every day.
For serious grinding, I have a 2X48 belt grinder.
[Image: gQvka4x.png]
Baileigh has in import version of the Jancy that is just about identical for 1/3 less money and I can't tell the difference.
I have the Jancy at my day job and the Baileigh at home.
I generally use a 1x42 belt sander http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,43072 with a jig I made to establish a bevel. A 1000 grit belt and power strop is a lazy sharpening for a construction chisel. But If I have to remove a lot of metal, that 50 cent fleamarket chisel, I use a 8" Baldor and a blue Norton wheel. If the back close to the edge is wet, your're not burning anything.
A man of foolish pursuits
Wow, blast from the past! I wonder what the OP eventually went with?

For the record, I was in exactly the same position as the OP a few years ago. I could handle day-to-day sharpening with my stones, but I couldn’t repair damaged edges or regrind bevels. Providentially, my grandfather passed his old Montgomery Ward grinder down to me when he downsized.

I did exactly what Peter said above: I got a blue Norton wheel, a Veritas tool rest, and a diamond wheel dresser, and I learned to use them. Now I wouldn’t be without my grinding setup.

Not long ago, I used a Tormek in a friend’s shop. It did work, but boy oh boy was it SLOW compared to my grinder. Same with the WS. They do work exactly as advertised, though.

Edit to add: I forgot I had already posted in this thread! Sorry for the repetition.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop