How to re-pin the handle of an old hand-crank drill?
I'm trying to repair an old No. 2 Millers Falls drill. The handle is pinned with an old nail and is wobbly. I'd like to take it out and do a proper job. But how can I pin it? What do I use? Any advice?
(04-08-2018, 09:17 PM)overland Wrote: I'm trying to repair an old No. 2 Millers Falls drill. The handle is pinned with an old nail and is wobbly. I'd like to take it out and do a proper job. But how can I pin it? What do I use? Any advice?

If I were doing it, I would remove the old pin, clean everything up, including polishing the metal ferrule, then using JB Weld, glue it all back together and put the pin back i or make a new one.. You seldom ever see one of those drill with a tight handle.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

The main handle receives a lot of stress. Check the wood first as it may be wonky. If so, glue the original hole with a good hardwood so you can start all over. I think this is a great job for an old nail if you can find one of the correct diameter. Peen one end of it while it is in a vise. Then drill a new hole through the wood and insert your new pin. Cut it to leave about 3/32 and peen that side. Keep rotating and peening until everything is tight.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(04-08-2018, 09:39 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,
If I were doing it, I would remove the old pin, clean everything up, including polishing the metal ferrule, then using JB Weld, glue it all back together and put the pin back i or make a new one.. You seldom ever see one of those drill with a tight handle.

What he just said!
Wink

Seriously, I've repaired a couple dozen hand drill handles and that's about the easiest kind of fix. At first I thought you were talking about the crank arm handle. THAT'S a royal pain to repair. But I assume you are talking about the main handle that is hollow and can be used for bit storage.

Anyway, I'd look for a brass nail just because it looks cool and I would fill the old hole with sawdust and wood glue (just to make the handle more stable). But I would still add a touch of epoxy to hold the handle back in place securely.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
(04-09-2018, 09:58 AM)Blacky Wrote: What he just said!
Wink

Seriously, I've repaired a couple dozen hand drill handles and that's about the easiest kind of fix. At first I thought you were talking about the crank arm handle. THAT'S a royal pain to repair. But I assume you are talking about the main handle that is hollow and can be used for bit storage.

Anyway, I'd look for a brass nail just because it looks cool and I would fill the old hole with sawdust and wood glue (just to make the handle more stable). But I would still add a touch of epoxy to hold the handle back in place securely.

You guys are really git'n good....
Yes

Peening can be tricky, especially when doing it on a small piece of wood such as a handle on a small eggbeater drill handle.  I prefer the brass idea because it's softer than steel.  Banging on a piece of brass will be less apt to buckle or bend in the middle and maybe split the wood. So, take your time and use just enough hammering to round the brass over. If you are pinning or riveting something made of metal, instead of wood, no problem. Millers Falls didn't have epoxies.... we do... good idea.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
(04-09-2018, 10:54 AM)MarvW Wrote: You guys are really git'n good....
Yes

Peening can be tricky, especially when doing it on a small piece of wood such as a handle on a small eggbeater drill handle.  I prefer the brass idea because it's softer than steel.  Banging on a piece of brass will be less apt to buckle or bend in the middle and maybe split the wood. So, take your time and use just enough hammering to round the brass over. If you are pinning or riveting something made of metal, instead of wood, no problem. Millers Falls didn't have epoxies.... we do... good idea.
AFAIC, the pin is just for appearance..After using enough JB Weld, it wont be needed..The stuff just works.
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-09-2018, 09:44 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
AFAIC, the pin is just for appearance..After using enough JB Weld, it wont be needed..The stuff just works.
Big Grin

You are so right.....  I've used JB Weld on many things... really good stuff.... I always have some on hand.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Here's the upshot: I removed the old pin--a  nail--and the hardwood handle. I didn't realize it but the handle screws on and the pin is there simply to keep it from unscrewing. In any case I had another drill that didn't work but had a nice rosewood handle. I took that handle off and screwed it on. It was tight and unwobbly as it was, so I found a nail of the right size and inserted it as a pin. Works fine. No glue or epoxy was necessary.
Came home with this, over the weekend....
Rolleyes  

Handle has a bolt holding it on..barely..
Rolleyes  

Might be worth saving?
Confused   But how? And..who made this?   Has the look of a Millers Falls...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-27-2018, 12:06 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Came home with this, over the weekend....
Rolleyes  

Handle has a bolt holding it on..barely..
Rolleyes  

Might be worth saving?
Confused   But how? And..who made this?   Has the look of a Millers Falls...
Just a guess but my money is on Goodell-Pratt.....
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset