Narrow dovetails question
This question is for pure choppers, not copers. I asked it a long time ago, not sure I ever got an answer I could relate to.

When I cut and chop a narrow tail, especially in thick wood, the final chopped-out piece tends to get jammed up into the narrow end. It doesn't help that I use Japanese saws, which don't leave much escape room. I spend way too much time trying to dislodge the last chunk. I never hear anyone talk about this, so it must be me. How do you avoid this problem?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(04-29-2018, 07:41 PM)Aram Wrote: This question is for pure choppers, not copers. I asked it a long time ago, not sure I ever got an answer I could relate to.

When I cut and chop a narrow tail, especially in thick wood, the final chopped-out piece tends to get jammed up into the narrow end. It doesn't help that I use Japanese saws, which don't leave much escape room. I spend way too much time trying to dislodge the last chuck. I never hear anyone talk about this, so it must be me. How do you avoid this problem?

These days I do more coping.   However it was a "near jam" situation from time to time when I chopped only.  I'm guessing I got by because I was using a push-saw with about 0.020" or greater kerf.
Chris
How narrow is narrow? Have you tried cutting the waste in half? The same saw gap, instead of sawing at your angle to the sides of the tails, saw straight down to your line (or just above) to split the waste in half. Should come out more easily.
(04-30-2018, 08:20 AM)JQuacker Wrote: How narrow is narrow? Have you tried cutting the waste in half? The same saw gap, instead of sawing at your angle to the sides of the tails, saw straight down to your line (or just above) to split the waste in half. Should come out more easily.

+1, but I use a western saw. It doesn't take much to jamb the waste, and I shy away from skinny pins. I have been tempted to use a drill, like for mortises.
(04-30-2018, 08:20 AM)JQuacker Wrote: How narrow is narrow? Have you tried cutting the waste in half? The same saw gap, instead of sawing at your angle to the sides of the tails, saw straight down to your line (or just above) to split the waste in half. Should come out more easily.

(04-30-2018, 10:31 AM)hbmcc Wrote: +1, but I use a western saw. It doesn't take much to jamb the waste, and I shy away from skinny pins. I have been tempted to use a drill, like for mortises.

Thanks. I'll probably try a saw kerf and drilling. Might end up coping. I've done it before, just not my favorite way.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(04-29-2018, 07:41 PM)Aram Wrote: This question is for pure choppers, not copers. I asked it a long time ago, not sure I ever got an answer I could relate to.

When I cut and chop a narrow tail, especially in thick wood, the final chopped-out piece tends to get jammed up into the narrow end. It doesn't help that I use Japanese saws, which don't leave much escape room. I spend way too much time trying to dislodge the last chunk. I never hear anyone talk about this, so it must be me. How do you avoid this problem?

I'm typically a coper/fretsaw-er, but on really narrow pins, I don't bother. Instead, I saw a kerf about halfway down into the waste after cutting the tail angles. In most cases the pointy bits of the waste break off during chopping/don't get stuck. (But I just usually cut larger dovetails
Smile )
(05-01-2018, 07:49 AM)elinourrumming Wrote: I'm typically a coper/fretsaw-er, but on really narrow pins, I don't bother. Instead, I saw a kerf about halfway down into the waste after cutting the tail angles. In most cases the pointy bits of the waste break off during chopping/don't get stuck. (But I just usually cut larger dovetails
Smile )

Thanks, Megan. I'll try it.
Best,
Aram, always learning

(05-01-2018, 07:49 AM)elinourrumming Wrote: I'm typically a coper/fretsaw-er, but on really narrow pins, I don't bother. Instead, I saw a kerf about halfway down into the waste after cutting the tail angles. In most cases the pointy bits of the waste break off during chopping/don't get stuck. (But I just usually cut larger dovetails
Smile )

That's a great tip, Megan!  I'll have to try that next time I cut dovetails.

I usually cope out the waste, unless it's only a little bit in softwood, but sometimes chopping really is faster.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Aram, for those really narrow tails you can do the vertical relief cut but I prefer to saw out the wast. A jewelers and scroll saw blade is better than a coping saw.

If not, you risk bruising or, in the case of a soft wood, denting or even breaking out the tip of the tail as the wast becomes wedged in the final few chops.
By the way, good to hear from Megan.