Moisture question
My friend and his wife wanted me to make a top to just sit on a 21"x66" dresser thing that a TV sits on. She wants it to be sort of rough, doesn't want the glue joints to be perfect, etc. They want to use pressure treated pine fence boards! I told them there was too much moisture in them and I just don't know "exactly" what is going to happen as it dries out! He brought them over last night and they were relatively straight, but wet. There were enough straight edges that I didn't have to joint them, was able to get one good edge using my TS. I just think after I glue them up, they will dry out a mess. Am I wrong?
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
I would have talked them out of using treated wood.

However, if you must... I wouldn't glue it. I'd use a Kreg jig.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Seriously? Pressure-treated lumber won't glue well for quite some time as it's extremely wet.

It is also generally highly unstable, and the fence boards are among the worst of the worst in terms of quality.

I would have a hard time thinking of a worse choice, but hey, it's their choice.
Cletus and FS7,
Believe me, I tried to tell him it wasn't a good idea but they still want it. Not gluing is probably a good idea. I'm at least going to suggest waiting a while and let them dry out, but they just want the look.
Norm
I wrapped my posts on the front porch with 1" x 8" PT.  I had one board left over and I stored it in my relatively damp basement.  It is cupped badly.  It has an ugly natural color.  And I don't know if the chemicals are recommended for indoors.

If she wants rustic, I would go to Lowes and get some cedar boards.  One side of the boards are "as sawn" and are rough.  The other side is smooth.  Unstained cedar with a clear coat, especially an oil based clear has a luminescence that looks fairly amazing.  

In any event it is not loaded with chemicals and can look "rough" and unfinished.  The few boards I have in the basement are still pretty flat.

I would glue up with dowels.  If the boards separate the dowels will hold things together.  Or make the boards with a small, but even gap between them.  Make it a design feature.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
There's taste, bad taste, no taste, and in this case, no taste + ignorance.

Tell them friends don't ask friends to build junk, which is exactly what this will be.

Your name will be on it. Its your decision to make.
I hate polyurethane (Gorilla) glue with a passion, but this is one application that it was made for. It cures with moisture and is relatively waterproof when cured. I built my wife an outdoor gardening bench form PT pine 10 years ago and used Gorilla glue for the joints. It has been out in the weather all that time and the joints are still tight.
(05-17-2018, 09:40 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I hate polyurethane (Gorilla) glue with a passion, but this is one application that it was made for. 

Agreed.
Wink 
(05-17-2018, 09:35 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Your name will be on it.  Its your decision to make.

Ok secretly, yes, that is on my mind too!
Norm
I would turn it done for the reasons you've already told them.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020