Dust Collector for garage
I have a HF dust collector that I added a Wynn Environmental filter, and a trash can separator w/ a Thien baffle.
Mine is set up to be mobile. Not sure how well it would work set up stationary with duct work.
I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but I am in the process of setting up a new shop.  I just got a Shop Fox W1685 dust collector this week and in the process if setting it up to be used with a table saw, band saw and jointer plus smaller tools.  Currently I have plastric flex lines using the trash can separator. What I want to do is set up permeant duct system. I did an internet search and can't find a source for metal duct. Any suggestions.
I'm running the HF collector that I bought used (old user here) probably 8 years ago.  No modifications to the collector itself except to add a trash can lid separator.  However, just this year I added a couple of blast gates at the intake and make a permanent connection to the table saw.  The other end is a longer length of flex line and I got Rockler's Dust Right connectors for it.  When I'm going to work on a project.  I back the car out of the two car garage and then move the jointer, and planer over.  No big deal for me to move the hose from machine to machine as I work.  Used to be a bit of a nightmare getting under to hookup the table saw...to the point where I just wouldn't connect it...hence the blast gates and permanent connection.  Now I just close the mobile hose, and open the tablesaw...vice versa.

HTH
(06-10-2018, 04:55 PM)SCK Wrote: I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but I am in the process of setting up a new shop.  I just got a Shop Fox W1685 dust collector this week and in the process if setting it up to be used with a table saw, band saw and jointer plus smaller tools.  Currently I have plastric flex lines using the trash can separator. What I want to do is set up permeant duct system. I did an internet search and can't find a source for metal duct. Any suggestions.

Just use PVC....but are you going to ground it?    <popcorn>
(06-10-2018, 05:52 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Just use PVC....but are you going to ground it?    <popcorn>

Uh oh.  
Uhoh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
The information that came with the Shop Fox DC recommended grounding. Is it necessary to ground 10' flex hose to a trash can separator and another 10" to connect to the equipment. That is the current setup and I just may leave it that way to save money.
(06-11-2018, 01:19 PM)SCK Wrote: The information that came with the Shop Fox DC recommended grounding. Is it necessary to ground 10' flex hose to a trash can separator and another 10" to connect to the equipment. That is the current setup and I just may leave it that way to save money.

It's a old running joke here on WoodNet about grounding or not grounding or your shop, house, street, world will explode.  They can turn into lengthy debates
Smile

Personally....I don't have any of my flex lines grounded...but they're also constantly moving around...if you end up going with permanent runs...I would simply follow the manufacturers suggestions....whatever those may be
Smile
If you are into making things, wood magazine had an article maybe fifteen years ago about making a cyclone and using a ready made blower.

[Image: DustCycloneBlowrFltr-L.jpg]
I did something similar to Mike, but using the ubiquitous '2 hp HFDC' and a cyclone I made from Bill Pentz's online plans.  I opened the blower's inlet to the same 9" diameter of the cyclone, and just plopped it on top.  The blower's outlet was adapted to a 10" insulated flex hose and piped out the window.  The cyclone's efficiency (percentage of dust removed from the stream) appears to be extremely high, as witnessed by the lack of dust on the snow in the window well after doing a lot of cutting, and by the fine wood flour in the collector bin.

An added benefit is that by opening up the blower like that, even with the added drag of the cyclone and fixed duct network, it now draws more current than it ever did with just the standard 5" to 4" wye adapter and a bit of flex hose.  It'll pull 16A if I open everything, which is still not 2 hp, but then, with no motor nameplate, I can't be sure it's actually a 2 hp motor.  
Raised 

The catalog listing back then said it was rated for 12A at 110V, while others have said it's 16A, so who knows.  But for normal operation, it draws around 12A, so it's all good.

Looking at the online catalog, they have two of them now, one green and one gray.  The green says 20A, and the gray says 15A.  I wonder if either have a proper motor nameplate?  
Confused

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-12-2018, 08:00 AM)Mike in kc Wrote: If you are into making things, wood magazine had an article maybe fifteen years ago about making a cyclone and using a ready made blower.

[Image: DustCycloneBlowrFltr-L.jpg]
Mike.  I was noticing your metal duct running out of the cyclone where did you get it. I found some spiral duct at Rockler but it would be nice to fine a local source.