New Chain Saw
I bought a new Jonsered 630 Super in 1983 (24" bar), and another regular 630 (20" bar) in 1984.
I've replaced the fuel lines on each saw one time, due to age, not ethanol. 
I've always ran pump gas in both of them.
I still use both of them.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-15-2018, 08:40 AM)Mking143 Wrote: For Fathers Day I'm thinking of treating myself to a new chain saw to replace my ancient Poulan. My needs are occasional for cutting firewood and yard cleanup, but I predict the saw would get more use in the near future as I have a forest full of blighted ash trees. Thinking 18" bar.
There is a Stihl dealer in town, but I've lately heard some first hand stories of hard to start and unreliable performance from them, plus many on line reviews are not encouraging. I prefer to buy from a dealer who can service the tool as opposed to saving a few bucks buying from the Borg..
Any thoughts from the brain trust?
TIA.

Mike

I'm in NJ and bought what is now the Stihl MS251, as after hurricane Sandy I had three trees down and the tree services wanted several thousands of dollars to remove them, so I said no thank you and bought a chain saw and did for myself.  Plenty of power, starts promptly, used maybe a half dozen times since then.  I drain the fuel, take care of it, and when I need it I have no issues with it starting.  Those who don't treat it properly likely account for the poor reviews, lots of weekend warriors out there who don't know how to properly maintain equipment.  Quality product, and I've got a good dealer locally.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-15-2018, 01:52 PM)Mking143 Wrote: I wasn't aware of non-ethanol gas being a necessity. Wow- $9.50/gallon. Still, that's cheap compared to an engine rebuild. I don't see myself going through more than a few gallons a season.

im not sure where ya live, but i dont pay even close to that.i go to a marina for it. you might be able to find stations near ya that sell non ethanol- typically marinas and airports have it
https://www.pure-gas.org
I also have the Stihl 250 and really like it - does all that I need. I buy the premix fuel at the Borg that can sit for up to 2 years (never had it last more than 2 or 3 months). Husqvarna is known for more power, but the dealers I’ve spoken with also say the Stihl requires less maintenance.

If you don’t have experience sharpening blades, it’s a learned skill. That said, Stihl has a 2-in-1 sharpening jig for the various chain sizes and it makes it easier in terms of the learning curve. If you’re not going to use it for a while, getting fuel out of it so it doesn’t gum up the works is important. Made that mistake in a prior saw and it was never quite the same.

As someone said, find a dealer you like and they’ll help.
(06-15-2018, 01:52 PM)Mking143 Wrote: Thanks all,
I'm thinking budget around $400, don't mind going lower but don't want to go much higher- I'm not a pro.
I wasn't aware of non-ethanol gas being a necessity. Wow- $9.50/gallon. Still, that's cheap compared to an engine rebuild. I don't see myself going through more than a few gallons a season.

Here in the middle of corn country, non-ethanol gasoline is only a 25-cent premium over E10 gas.  I buy it when I'm filling the cans for the small machines.  I mix my 2-cycle with that, and add Stabil to all of it.

I can believe the $9.50/gallon for the pre-mixed cans of fuel you can find at the BORG or the dealers.
I have a Stihl 26.  I have had it about 18 years.  Last year I put in a carb rebuild kit.  It has been a good saw.  I also have had a Stihl weed trimmer for about that long.  About 4 years ago I put a new carb on it.  Other than that, they run great.

The biggest trick I found is to read and follow the manual. It talks about shaking the fuel, to mix it.  I give the can a few good shakes prior to every tank refilling.  Like someone else stated, improperly mixed fuel will cause starting/stalling issues.

Husqvarna also makes a good saw.  Personally those are the only two I would consider.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(06-15-2018, 03:50 PM)tomsteve Wrote: im not sure where ya live, but i dont pay even close to that.i go to a marina for it. you might be able to find stations near ya that sell non ethanol- typically marinas and airports have it
https://www.pure-gas.org

Only place in town (doubled checked on the link...) is the gas station at the farmer's co-op.  Talk about irony.  But it is close to my home, and I'm glad they have it!
Easy choice; if you have a Stihl dealer in town and don't want to do maintenance then buy a Stihl.  On the other hand, chainsaws are pretty darned simple machines, and not much goes wrong with them if you use fresh fuel with top end synthetic oil like Stihl HP and run it dry if you don't plan to use it for a month or more.  Personally, I would buy the lightest saw that meets your needs if you plan to use it for more than just a few minutes at a time, especially if you plan to do much limbing.  The lightest saws in everyone's product line are their pro saws.  Those also are better built and easier to work on.  But if your needs are modest, the farm and ranch level saws will give you years and years of good service.  

John
Thanks for the replies everyone. I went with the Stihl MS271 Farm Boss, 18".
Paid a few extra bucks for the additional power, plus a 6pack of oil and an extra chain.
When I got it home it started on the 2nd pull, and just breezed through some 18" ash.
Fire pit tonight, and a jerked pork shoulder over ash tomorrow night.
Thanks again, and Happy Fathers Day all.

Mike
I've used 16" Stihl chain saws for over 30 years now with no complaints. It gets heavy use twice a year for a week at a time and general use the rest. The one I have now must be 20 years old, my first one was stolen.

I've heard Echo is good from a tree guy.