Miniwax Polycrylic
(03-27-2018, 11:51 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Durability in non-kitchen applications?  The little I've used Minwax Poly, I've found it to be a bit on the soft side.  OK for light duty stuff but seems to scratch easily if used for say a plant-stand's top where things get scooted around a bit.

I disagree. I have been using Polycrylic for more than a decade. There is a lot of furniture in my house finished with it that still looks like a fresh coat even with day to day use.

I spray it on with my HVLP usually. Lots of thin coats, but it can be sanded and recoated within 30 minutes in most cases, so sanding between coats is the time consuming part.

As far as raising grain, it does. So I pre-raise the grain with water first, let that dry and sand it out, THEN start the finish spraying! Eliminates most of the raising issues.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(06-28-2018, 06:46 PM)handi Wrote: I disagree. I have been using Polycrylic for more than a decade. There is a lot of furniture in my house finished with it that still looks like a fresh coat even with day to day use.

I spray it on with my HVLP usually. Lots of thin coats, but it can be sanded and recoated within 30 minutes in most cases, so sanding between coats is the time consuming part.

As far as raising grain, it does. So I pre-raise the grain with water first, let that dry and sand it out, THEN start the finish spraying! Eliminates most of the raising issues.

Wouldn't it be easier to just spray SealCoat first?  It would prevent grain raising and it would add to the finish build.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-28-2018, 06:46 PM)handi Wrote: I disagree. I have been using Polycrylic for more than a decade. There is a lot of furniture in my house finished with it that still looks like a fresh coat even with day to day use.

(06-29-2018, 07:50 AM)Cooler Wrote: Wouldn't it be easier to just spray SealCoat first?  It would prevent grain raising and it would add to the finish build.

Why yes it  would, and what I do most of the time.  

FWIW, I find Polycrylic soft and easily scratched, as noted above.  It does spray nicely, but so do many other WB products with higher performance.  If you are looking for a great all around product, try GF's Enduro Clear Poly.  Very easy to spray, very hard and abrasion resistant, dead clear, and very resistant to foods and most household chemicals.  If you don't need chemical resistance High Performance Poly is an excellent choice, with the added benefit that it can be brushed.  Both of these products cost more than Polycrylic, but I trust you remember that old saying.  Another easy to spray product, with properties similar to HP Poly, and at an excellent price, is Lenmar DuraLaq which is available from Benjamin Moore.   

John
(06-29-2018, 09:34 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Why yes it  would, and what I do most of the time.  

FWIW, I find Polycrylic soft and easily scratched, as noted above.  It does spray nicely, but so do many other WB products with higher performance.  If you are looking for a great all around product, try GF's Enduro Clear Poly.  Very easy to spray, very hard and abrasion resistant, dead clear, and very resistant to foods and most household chemicals.  If you don't need chemical resistance High Performance Poly is an excellent choice, with the added benefit that it can be brushed.  Both of these products cost more than Polycrylic, but I trust you remember that old saying.  Another easy to spray product, with properties similar to HP Poly, and at an excellent price, is Lenmar DuraLaq which is available from Benjamin Moore.   

John
I am new to Polycrylic and need some advice.  I have no spray equipment so brush, roller, or wipe or the approached available to me.  Can says only brush.  Am concerned about brush marks.  Should I be?  Have brush applied it to a scrap of plywood after painting it with a WB paint.  Awful!! Any advice appreciated.
(11-09-2019, 06:23 PM)flip Wrote: I am new to Polycrylic and need some advice.  I have no spray equipment so brush, roller, or wipe or the approached available to me.  Can says only brush.  Am concerned about brush marks.  Should I be?  Have brush applied it to a scrap of plywood after painting it with a WB paint.  Awful!! Any advice appreciated.

Have you tried a foam brush?  If so, and you are still getting brush marks, then get some of GF's Extender and add about 4% and see if that helps.    

John
(11-09-2019, 08:24 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Have you tried a foam brush?  If so, and you are still getting brush marks, then get some of GF's Extender and add about 4% and see if that helps.    

John

What are GF Extenders and where do I get them?
(11-10-2019, 05:52 AM)flip Wrote: What are GF Extenders and where do I get them?

General Finishes Extender will increase the open time and make the water based finish flow better under most application conditions.

They are sold by any of the GF dealers. On-line, Woodcraft and Rockler are dealers. You can check with the GF web site to find their authorized list. Might be possible to find on Amazon but never looked.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I put 3 coats of Polycrylic on top of SW ProClassic on ceiling and cabinetry in my van. The ceiling is holding up perfectly and the POLYCRYLIC gives it a translucence I like. Cabinetry has not held up as well. After 4 years, I will soon be refinishing.

I used GF’s Endurovar on the Baltic Birch counter. Water has gotten through and after 3.5 years it must be replaced. I will use the EnduroVar again, but inlay Formica in the main work surface. The Endurovar has yellowed a bit and I would rather use GF’s Clear Poly, but I have never sprayed anything.

Both Polycrylic and Endurovar are a dream to apply with a foam brush.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(11-10-2019, 08:58 AM)MsNomer Wrote: I put 3 coats of Polycrylic on top of SW ProClassic on ceiling and cabinetry in my van.  The ceiling is holding up perfectly and the POLYCRYLIC gives it a translucence I like.  Cabinetry has not held up as well.  After 4 years, I will soon be refinishing.

I used GF’s Endurovar on the Baltic Birch counter.  Water has gotten through and after 3.5 years it must be replaced. I will use the EnduroVar again, but inlay Formica in the main work surface.  The Endurovar has yellowed a bit and I would rather use GF’s Clear Poly, but I have never sprayed anything.

Both Polycrylic and Endurovar are a dream to apply with a foam brush.

If you put some Extender in it, you can brush Clear Poly just fine.  

John
(11-10-2019, 08:50 AM)Rob Young Wrote: General Finishes Extender will increase the open time and make the water based finish flow better under most application conditions.

They are sold by any of the GF dealers. On-line, Woodcraft and Rockler are dealers. You can check with the GF web site to find their authorized list. Might be possible to find on Amazon but never looked.
Thanks.  I'll find them.