orange oil
Yesyerday, I was at the Central PA Festival of the Arts, in State College, PA. One of the vendors was a woodworker, with some beautiful work, finished as nicely as the joinery. He had several tables with a deep satin, ultra smooth look and feel. When I asked about it, he described it as a coat of was, topped with two coats of "orange oil". I questioned what orange oil was and he said it was a floor finish. I asked him how many coats, and his reply was two, rubbed out between.

Anyone here can explain what "orange oil" is and difficulty of using it?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have no idea what it really is, but I suspect it's some sort of oil/varnish blend, with some orange fragrance mixed in.  "Lemon oil" was all the rage on the scrolling forums a couple years ago.  I believe that is what it was.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(07-13-2018, 04:50 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Yesyerday, I was at the Central PA Festival of the Arts, in State College, PA.  One of the vendors was a woodworker, with some beautiful work, finished as nicely as the joinery.  He had several tables with a deep satin, ultra smooth look and feel.  When I asked about it, he described it as a coat of was, topped with two coats of "orange oil".  I questioned what orange oil was and he said it was a floor finish.  I asked him how many coats, and his reply was two, rubbed out between.

Anyone here can explain what "orange oil" is and difficulty of using it?

Orange oil is the by-product of orange juice production through centrifugation producing a cold pressed oil. Composition depends on where it is made, but more likely it is mixed with limonene (lemon oil). It is often sold at antique stores as a protectant for antique furniture.

I've been using orange oil for years to protect and preserve antique tools. I mix one part of orange oil, with one part mineral oil, with melted beeswax. It works unbelievably well. Much better than Kramer's Antique Improver.

Mike
This company sells the stuff. 

http://www.howardproducts.com/products/

I could not find any independent reviews.

General Finishes sells an orange oil cleaner/conditioner too.  But it was meant to go over a GF finish and not replace that finish.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-13-2018, 07:39 AM)mvflaim Wrote: Orange oil is the by-product of orange juice production through centrifugation producing a cold pressed oil. Composition depends on where it is made, but more likely it is mixed with limonene (lemon oil). It is often sold at antique stores as a protectant for antique furniture.

I've been using orange oil for years to protect and preserve antique tools. I mix one part of orange oil, with one part mineral oil, with melted beeswax. It works unbelievably well. Much better than Kramer's Antique Improver.

Mike

Well I learned something today. 
Cool
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Weird thing is the guy said it was a floor finish! I must have confused hat he was saying.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(07-13-2018, 10:07 AM)Cooler Wrote: This company sells the stuff. 

http://www.howardproducts.com/products/

I could not find any independent reviews.

General Finishes sells an orange oil cleaner/conditioner too.  But it was meant to go over a GF finish and not replace that finish.

That's how I know of orange oil as well. Just a cleaner, not a top coat. Even Orange Glo hardwood floor cleaner is just a cleaner.
You guys never took a piece of orange peel and squeezed it near a flame? The oils in the peel burn and will cause small puttering flames when squeezed near a flame.
(07-15-2018, 05:56 PM)Scoony Wrote: You guys never took a piece of orange peel and squeezed it near a flame?   The oils in the peel burn and will cause small puttering flames when squeezed near a flame.

No, but now I gotta try. haha