All you ever need to know about scrapers
Politics 
can be found right here in Paul's Youtube video...I am a big fan of high speed steel as Paul is, and I have followed his advice and made scrapers using old, discarded HSS slotting saws which can be found for pennies at flea markets, estate sales etc...You can also find hacksaw blades made of 100% HSS...Making a scraper the way Paul shows in his video is so easy a cave man can do it, and the best part is.,...they just work!!!!! Most of us have a bench grinder and that, plus a Dremel are the only power tools necessary to make your own, altho I suppose you "could" also do without a Dremel..A belt grinder such as the "El Cheapo" Harbor Freight Chinese 1"X30" can also be used but will only put the really sharp burr on one side of your scraper...His tip on making fine scrapers out of razor blades is a good one also...I can almost guarantee that you will learn some new tricks out of any of Paul's videos...He is a wealth of knowledge! Take a look at some of his miniatures!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOV9QYiMTw&t=39s
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the posting. That was very informative on several levels. The more I check Paul out the more I appreciate his knowledge and approach
is this domed because there is a handgun in the video, or just reflex action?
(07-25-2018, 06:38 PM)EricU Wrote: is this domed because there is a handgun in the video, or just reflex action?
Actually, not because of the gun....I usually dome all my posts just in case they go political..
Crazy
Big Grin

I have held that gun in the video...it is a perfect scaled down copy of the Colt 1911 original, totally operational........IIRC, Paul said the magazine was one of the hardest parts to make.
Crazy

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Jack, I think we both held and examined that 1911 at them Peach Meet several years ago. It is an amazing piece and Paul is an amazing machinist and craftsman.
(07-26-2018, 11:05 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: I have held that gun in the video...it is a perfect scaled down copy of the Colt 1911 original, totally operational........

I was lucky enough to help him cast a few bronze parts for the 1911 project when I visited his shop in Georgia a few years ago. Even more fun...he told me to wander the shop and open drawers. I saw tools, prototypes, and completed projects that would amaze even the most grizzled tool guy.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(07-27-2018, 07:09 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Jack, I think we both held and examined that 1911 at them Peach Meet several years ago. It is an amazing piece and Paul is an amazing machinist and craftsman.
I guess it has been a few years, Hank...Boy, how time flies when you're having fun.!!!!!!
Big Grin
Big Grin

And I agree about Paul, there's not many in this world with his skill and understanding when it comes to tools and machines..if he is not a genius, I don't understand the meaning of the word. You can't "learn" that, it is God given...
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-27-2018, 08:20 AM)enjuneer Wrote: I was lucky enough to help him cast a few bronze parts for the 1911 project when I visited his shop in Georgia a few years ago. Even more fun...he told me to wander the shop and open drawers. I saw tools, prototypes, and completed projects that would amaze even the most grizzled tool guy.

You definitely were lucky, Bob...I envy you..I would love to see his shop someday.
Yes

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Here Jack,
Take a virtual tour:

https://hamlertools.smugmug.com/Hobbies/...-TBDPffw/A
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.