Tools From Japan?
Has anyone heard from Stu at Tools From Japan? I realize he has been coping with a death in the family. I was wondering if anyone knows, has he suspended dealing with his business for a while? I ordered something in May and emailed him once or twice. No replies. He usually gets back to me.

I'm not in any hurry (it's just a chisel) and family comes first. Just wondering what is up, if anyone knows. Hope he's doing ok.

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Not for quite a while. The last time I think he didn't charge the card until the order was sent. Check your account, in case. Ever since I was ripped off by Big Wood Vice, I have been really touchy about ordering anything; even to the point of introducing myself and requesting a response from the vendor; normally, small vendors. No response, they go on my bad apple list and I stay away.
I only deal with mainstream vendors like Woodcraft etc. I am not aware of any tools that one can't get from one of the so many established merchants out there.

Simon
(07-26-2018, 08:13 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I only deal with mainstream vendors like Woodcraft etc. I am not aware of any tools that one can't get from one of the so many established merchants out there.

Simon

The Koyamaichi chisels I bought from Tools From Japan are the best chisels I have ever owned. You bang on them and bang on them, and they keep a keen edge for an impossibly long time. They also have a great feel and balance, for me anyway.

They are not a Rockler commodity type of item.

Also Stu is a good guy.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(07-26-2018, 09:43 AM)Aram Wrote: Also Stu is a good guy.

Very honorable and sells excellent tools.  I'm sorry to hear of his loss.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-26-2018, 06:52 PM)Admiral Wrote: Very honorable and sells excellent tools.  I'm sorry to hear of his loss.

Stu is a very good guy..... also sorry to hear this news....
Skip

I ordered a set of sharpening stones May 4 and they shipped May 18- not fast but I know he's just a one man operation and his prices are very good so I don't mind. They arrived May 30.  

This was actually the second set I ordered, the first were for me, these were for my brother, I'd recommend him as well as these stones to anyone.  If anyone is curious this is what I ordered:
Sigma Power ceramic 1000-6000-13000 special set. (4185351613-3)

The set comes with a nice stone holder and an Atoma 400 diamond plate for flattening; they were $300 shipped, I don't think you can do better.
I don't see any news -- mark me down as confused
(07-31-2018, 08:43 AM)EricU Wrote: I don't see any news -- mark me down as confused

Hello Eric;

Here is a link to Stu's sad blog post:
Stu's Mom's passing
Skip

I placed an order recently with Stu.  I got a confirmation from him today that it shipped, and he also refunded a few dollars of the shipping, saying it had been miscalculated.  Truly a stand up guy.