Anyone seen dcoumentary Alan Peters - The Makers' Maker
I am interested in learning more about Alan Peters, the highly respected British furniture maker who died in 2009.
There is a documentary entitled Alan Peters - The Makers' Maker, made Jeremy Broun. On Broun's site there is a short introductory clip of the documentary. It doesn't make me want to buy the full film. It mostly shows other makers talking about how important Peters was to them and the whole British furniture making field. I know he is important. That's why I want to learn more about hime and his work. Testionials are nice, but not what I am looking for.
Has anyone seen the film? What do you think of it?
Kinda interesting; when I look at Broun’s work, I see Art Carpenter and some of the Bolinas and SF makers.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Ron, I have the (full) video. It has been a few years since I last viewed it. Alan Peters has been an inspiration for me, as for many others. This film was partially a documentary of his life and work, and partially a tribute by Jeremy Broun. It is a must-view if interested in Alan's work. Seeing pieces in 3-D is better than a photo. However I fear that you may struggle to get hold of Broun for a copy. He does not appear to reply to emails.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(08-06-2018, 02:14 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Ron, I have the (full) video. It has been a few years since I last viewed it. Alan Peters has been an inspiration for me, as for many others. This film was partially a documentary of his life and work, and partially a tribute by Jeremy Broun. It is a must-view if interested in Alan's work. Seeing pieces in 3-D is better than a photo. However I fear that you may struggle to get hold of Broun for a copy. He does not appear to reply to emails.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gary, are you saying the Peters video is kind of intereresting or the influences apparent in Broun's work are what you found interesting.
Derek, thanks for your thoughts. Glad to know that at least one person thinks the video is worthwhile. Broun's site advertises the DVD for sale. Haven't tried to buy it there yet, but I will let you know what happens when I do.
Ron
Have not watched the DVD you quoted, but have seen The Alan Peters Approach DVD by Rob Cosman. In his 70s when Rob did that DVD in his shop, he was seen cutting some dovetails.

Simon
Hi Ron,
I hadn’t seen Peters’ or Broun’s work before.
Well, maybe some of Peters.
I looked for both online when I saw this thread.
I’m saying their work brings to mind the work I have seen previously by Art and others of his era.

I suppose there are many inspirational and influential craftsman whose work deserves greater recognition.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2009/11/...-1933-2009
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(08-08-2018, 07:50 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Hi Ron,
I hadn’t seen Peters’ or Broun’s work before.
Well, maybe some of Peters.
I looked for both online when I saw this thread.
I’m saying their work brings to mind the work I have seen previously by Art and others of his era.

I suppose there are many inspirational and influential craftsman whose work deserves greater recognition.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2009/11/...-1933-2009

Gary,
I am embarrased to admit that I was not familiar with Art Carpenter's work until you mentioned him.
How did I miss someone who is in many ways as important as Kernov, Nakaimich, Maloof, and Peters.
Researching and reading about him online was really a treat. Thanks for turning me on to another outstanding woodworker.
Ron