Strange, little saw
When I won a bundle of handsaws back in May of this year.....I put the Butcher saws back into the auction,,,,when I got the rest of the bundle home, and cleaned up...there was a strange saw in the group..
Rolleyes 

Frame is just a metal rod.    Blade is set onto a pin on each end, and the pin was peened over.   11 ppi is the tooth count.

May try to set and sharpen the blade.....and see about a "infill" in the loop of a handle?    Might be a handy little saw for a tool box?
Confused  

Doubt IF that blade will come off.
No
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-12-2018, 08:27 PM)bandit571 Wrote: When I won a bundle of handsaws back in May of this year.....I put the Butcher saws back into the auction,,,,when I got the rest of the bundle home, and cleaned up...there was a strange saw in the group..
Rolleyes 

Frame is just a metal rod.    Blade is set onto a pin on each end, and the pin was peened over.   11 ppi is the tooth count.

May try to set and sharpen the blade.....and see about a "infill" in the loop of a handle?    Might be a handy little saw for a tool box?
Confused  

Doubt IF that blade will come off.
No

bandit,

Fairly common style bow/buck saw. Handy when you go into the bush. Mainly used as a crosscut saw, cutting branches, cutting small trees, etc...good to have when you need to create a bow drill.

There's a modern style of that made called the Boreal 21 that folds up. Google and there's to be a video on it.

You should be able to get replacement blades for it, it looks like a common size. You should be able to flex the frame to get the blade off, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: second look at this, are those pins peened? If so you would need to grind them and re-peen them to replace the blade. However, you have plenty of blade, so why not just get a file and sharpen it up? Is it sharpened x-cut?

Cheers,
Alan
Hard to tell how it is sharpened , right now.    Blade length is 9" and is 3/4" wide.    Peened over pins. 

When I am allowed to go back down to the shop...I'll see about sharpening it up.    Can't feel any set to the teeth.
It's been my impression that at least one of the uses of these saws was in a "boy's tool kit."
(08-13-2018, 09:17 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: It's been my impression that at least one of the uses of these saws was in a "boy's tool kit."

When I first looked at the picture, I thought I had seen that saw before. I think Bill may be on to it, seem to recollect a saw like that in a "boy's tool kit".
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
They still make and sell a version....can be found in the hobby section.    Shaped more like a coping saw.
Thinking of using a couple pieces of...Cherry.....make a two piece handle.....route out for the rod to sit in.   May glue the two together....may even add a couple brass saw nuts?   Maybe shine the frame up nice and bright.....or would having it blued, be better?
I "think" I have one of those also, it might have came with some plumbing "stuff". Mine might have a red handle, although that might have been owner applied. I could see it being very handy in the trades person's tool box.
(08-13-2018, 09:52 AM)Tony Z Wrote: When I first looked at the picture, I thought I had seen that saw before.  I think Bill may be on to it, seem to recollect a saw like that in a "boy's tool kit".

Correct....it is a toy kit saw...very common in the forties...
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

The saw came from an Estate Auction of a farmer.     Along with quite a few "normal" saws.    I also sent back into the auction 5 Butcher's Meat Saws, as I had no use for them. 

Still haven't figured this one out, yet...

There was this Atkins saw...
Cool 

A Disston D-8 was in the bundle....that was laying on the wet grass..back in April of this year...Auction was at the end of April....was May before I could get all the rehab work done on these..

Still haven't done anything to the Craftsman.....
Rolleyes 

And the DeVille didn't really need much clean up.    All total, about 8 saws..for $20.