What happened to Wenzolff and Sons?
Stwood_ Wrote:That is the wrong Todd. I can't remember his exact user name but that is not it.
Mrs. Deadhorse is his Ebay seller name. He's still active there.

That's him! I bought a couple saws off him in the day, he's probably selling on ebay still, but I haven't bought a saw in years.

I remember a saw I bought from Todd, it was an English handsaw that had a back to it, but the back was added many years ago...kind of cool saw, it's in my stash of saws...I remember I bought a Jackson saw from him also, and probably a couple Disstons....I used to buy some Disstons when I first started acquiring handsaws, didn't know any better...hehehe

A long time ago Todd posted a thread on a hammer he made, it was a cool hammer, made in the blacksmith mentality...there's a kind of untold belief that as a blacksmith you make every tool you need. This is why the blacksmith was such an important person in days of yore, heck, there wouldn't have been too many woodworking tools without the blacksmith, or any types of tools for most every craft. At the time I didn't really understand that, but seeing Todd's stuff inspired me to dabble in some smithy work myself. My smithy mentor made me forge all my own tools, starting with punches and scribes, fixtures for nail heads, pyramid heads, rivets, etc...finally I got a bit impatient and bought some hammers and other stuff...so I didn't have to make EVERYTHING... FWIW, my mentor won the 2nd season of Forged In Fire on cable. His name is Scott Thomas. He made a celtic sword to win the show.

Todd was early on Ebay, he probably still sells stuff there...I'll look him up...thanks.

Alan
(08-19-2018, 02:32 PM)professore Wrote: These types of discussion are good and should take place but if I were looking for a discussion of professionals sharing their knowledge (or not) I wouldn't expect to find it under this subject line.  I come to WoodNet everyday and I enjoy my time here.  I don't want my comments to be taken as dissatisfaction and it's not my intent to step on anyone's toes.

And yes, I have contributed to the digression of this thread.

You seem to be negative about this thread, but it prompted you to post for the fifth time this year!

Why don't you share more of what you do with wood? These forums are not comprised of professionals, although some do frequent them, it's mostly people that have like interests and like to share with others. That is how I've always looked at it.

You might find that you get a lot more enjoyment if you posted more. Just a suggestion as I feel the real value is in participating, not just reading. Members that post threads, and especially decent content, are a lot more valuable to a forum that you might think. It is what makes up the forum as a whole.

I'd love to see some of your projects, but don't be sore.
Smile

Cheers,
Alan
Maybe check out one of my build threads.....
Winkgrin

Getting ready to start the next one...
Uhoh
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-19-2018, 10:10 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Never heard of Ello before (No, I don't even have a FB or Instagram acct...or Twitter!). Googled it (dubbed a FB killer at one time) and went to its site: It is all pictorial and seems to work like Instagram. Will take a deeper look later.

I haven't used Ello too much, and yes, it was at one time thought to be the upcoming FB killer. I still think it has promise.

Speaking for myself, the lack of ads is a HUGE plus, it's really a bunch of artists posting content about stuff they make. I have been involved a lot in open source, and a number of my friends started using it several years back, but it was pretty crude in the beginning. The interface is pretty good now, IMO, and it allows you to post various types of content and mix it in a full size browser. Therein lies my big gripe with Instagram, I kind of despise using my phone. I'm to wordy. LOL

(08-19-2018, 10:10 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I hope it does not require me to register and open an account to view...I have had more than enough accounts and passwords to remember. Heck, I have even closed many bank and credit card accounts over the past few years to the point that I now begin to understand why some people prefer to deal with cash only. I am cutting my landline soon as all you get is "Quick, another free credit card offer for you."

No, you don't need an account, you're free to view and search. You can put your work up for sale, and you can share the content on most any social media including FB, pinterest. twitter, G+, et al, so they don't hold your content hostage.

Could be a good thing, but I haven't used it too much and don't have hardly any followers. It might not be for you, or any others...the people I know that have used it are makers, burning man types, crafts people, stuff like that...

It is run by people that care about keeping the Internet free, don't question that much, IMO. I do know they haven't added any type of advertisement in 2-3 years since it started.

Here's my latest post: Dovetail Box made out of Eastern White Pine using hand tools

Cheers,
Alan
I see only a rough plan for your house.  That is a pine box, but boy, that will be some serious dovetailing! 
Eek
(08-20-2018, 03:00 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I see only a rough plan for your house.  That is a pine box, but boy, that will be some serious dovetailing! 
Eek
Well, the link must be visible unless you registered...
Smile

Those are only a couple pages of the plans, but it's all there...just not in that post. I originally had the structural engineering done back in about 2010/2011, but since then the building codes were updated and fire protection is now mandatory after the Valley Fire in 2015. So I had to have the engineering and plans updated which was a lot of work.

EDIT: Is MarvW still around refurbishing saws? I had a link to his ebay seller's page but nothing there. He lives on the opposite side of the lake from me. Hopefully he didn't have any problems with the fires, I don't think any of the homes where he is at were damaged, but he may have been evacuated, which sucks...

There are about 18 pages of 24x36 prints for the plans, plus about 80 pages of stamped structural engineering, stamped title 24 environmental, stamped sprinkler design (Fire Protection), water certificate from State, septic permit, site plan, electrical draw plan, et al...if that is for a rough plan, I hate to see what they want for a completed one!  
Rolleyes

I do rough out the dovetails with a chainsaw, but all the final fitting is done with simple hand tools. I use an old Stanley 60-1/2 LA block plane I bought from WaltQ, some old American timberframe chisels I got from WaltQ, a couple mallets, a crosscut handsaw, level, carpenter's crayon, dividers, et al...it's not easy work due to size of the timber, but it is satisfying for me...I just have the roof to complete and need rafters for that.

EDIT: imagine using blue tape on those dovetails? Maybe you could buy it by the case?
Winkgrin

More woodworkers should look into building their own home, IMO, timberframing is much more practical than building with logs. Same deal, most all of it is done with simple hand tools.

Cheers,
Alan
I was hoping, after all these replies, that we might hear from Mike with something like: health is well, thanks for asking.
We all owe a debt of gratitude to Mike: beautiful saws that allow us to make what we can make. Hoping the Mike is well, and may some day, continue making the great tools that make us happy.
(08-20-2018, 04:20 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I was hoping, after all these replies, that we might hear from Mike with something like: health is well, thanks for asking.
Yeah, I was hoping I would have gotten a reply from him when I tried to contact him.

(08-20-2018, 04:20 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: We all owe a debt of gratitude to Mike: beautiful saws that allow us to make what we can make.  Hoping the Mike is well, and may some day, continue making the great tools that make us happy.

I'll second that...

BTW, I don't know who decided to change this software here on Woodnet, but it sucks a hard boiled egg. Maybe that's why 'mill creep is so busy...
Laugh

Alan
(08-20-2018, 06:41 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: BTW, I don't know who decided to change this software here on Woodnet, but it sucks a hard boiled egg. Maybe that's why 'mill creep is so busy...
Laugh

Alan

They did? What changes did it cause? I thought they changed the ownership only which is no longer Woodsmith.

Simon
(08-19-2018, 10:22 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: You're thinking of Todd Cronkhite {sp} I believe....He is a friend of Todd Hughes...and also an old time woodnetter .he is active on FB.
Jack,

Was definitely Todd Hughes I was talking about, not sure about Steve, but he was right about Todd Hughes.

Care for a stroll back through memory lane? I'll post it anyway...even if you don't want a stroll...after all, this is the Internet...I still have a link in my smithy links and believe it or not, this link is still active, a testimony in itself...

Todd Hughes makes a hewing axe

But where is Leif? We need to get Leif to surface...after all, it WAS Leif that got people interested in making saws to begin with, it WAS Leif that showed people how to fold brass backs, it WAS Leif that was always helping everyone with anything saws, provided PPI charts to file against, and was a pioneer of handsaws.

Is it possible to flush that Nordic rat out???

Alan - I think it's worth a try...
Laugh