Chris Schwarz is leaving PWW
(08-24-2018, 09:20 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Adam, good to see you here again!
Steve,

I just wanted to say that Adam has always been quite the gentleman rather than others that have been affiliated with Williamsburg, George Wilson is one crafts#O!E that comes to mind...Adam has always been more than helpful online. I've asked him a number of things in the past.

Allan Hill failed to put him on the list, but he said he would miss some! Adam is one.
Wink

Alan (the other one with the right spelling!
Laugh )
(08-26-2018, 04:43 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Steve,

I just wanted to say that Adam has always been quite the gentleman rather than others that have been affiliated with Williamsburg, George Wilson is one crafts#O!E that comes to mind...Adam has always been more than helpful online. I've asked him a number of things in the past.

Allan Hill failed to put him on the list, but he said he would miss some! Adam is one.
Wink

Laugh )

I think you're referring to a different thread (the Where's Wenzloff thread), where I listed folks who used to be frequent WN contributors.  I didn't list Adam on that thread because he's still an occasional contributor here.  I did have Adam on my list on this thread.  I know George is a frequent contributor on another woodworking forum, and my impression aligns with yours - very opinionated and very willing to point you out if you disagree.  I don't know if you were implying that Adam was associated with Colonial Williamsburg.  To my recollection (Adam please correct me if I'm wrong), he was associated with Pensbury Manor.  I know Adam has presented at a Williamburg conference on 18th Century Woodworking.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-26-2018, 04:43 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Steve,

Wink

Laugh )

I'm not sure of what your opinion of George Wilson is, but as a craftsmen, cabinetmaker, toolmaker, musical instrument maker, he is absolutely of the highest caliber. Many of the tools used at Colonial Williamsburg, were made by George, and if you watched early "Woodwright Shop", St. Roy showed many items made by George.

George could be a bit of a curmudgeon, but if you would know of his work, you would agree of his being of the highest caliber.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-26-2018, 04:19 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Not me. I"m leaving them how I leave them. I don't see a problem, I'll be leaving them a house with a shop, they won't have to move them unless they want the space.

It is what it is...I have friends ask me occasionally what will happen with all the machine if something happens to me...it's not as if I'm being rude, but I'm enjoying my machines and don't want to give any of them up just yet. Maybe I'll feel different when I'm 75, but I still want to be fiddling with stuff, taking $#!T apart, and breaking it...I like to do that kind of stuff...
Laugh  Occasionally I get one back together,  and that small moment gives me to drive to keep doing it.
Wink     Alan

This is a personal choice, and far be it to me to judge other's views on the topic.  Some feel liquidating a shop would be a burden to family, or when sold the yield on pricing would be less. Bottom line for me, I've acquired most of my tools relatively cheaply, on sale, closeouts, lots of used stuff, vintage, and I restore them.  I figure it this way:  I've acquired the majority of my tools at a discount, so I'm ok with liquidating at a discount, I leave that to my heirs.  Hire an auctioneer, pretty painless for the heirs, so I say let the buyers have at it.  If they want to put the work in to get top value, god bless.  If auction is their choice, I figure the next generation of "makers" (as the millennial's call themselves today) will be able to acquire some quality tools at a reasonable price, and I'm ok with that. So unless I live so long that I cannot use and enjoy the tools and am drooling out the side of my mouth in a nursing home, I'm not selling them as they give me pleasure.  I may be selfish in how I feel about this, but I think I've earned the pleasure of enjoying my tools, which I do. Hey, when your dead, you're dead, so what do I care????  Others may differ.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-26-2018, 06:12 PM)Admiral Wrote: I may be selfish in how I feel about this, but I think I've earned the pleasure of enjoying my tools, which I do. Hey, when your dead, you're dead, so what do I care????  Others may differ.

Selfish? I don't think so, and as you said, it is a personal decision, and being personal, every woodworker would be different.

No one in my family is interested in any of my shop tools, and other than cordless drills (if they still work), I don't think they know how to use what I use to make projects. Instead of leaving the tools rusting (very humid here in certain seasons), I will see if they can land in the hands of those who can really put them to good use.

I know I will be selling a lot of my tools when I downsize as my wife isn't interested in caring for a big house when we are old. By then I probably will spend most of my time on the road or traveling than woodworking!

Simon
(08-26-2018, 04:29 PM)AHill Wrote: I think you're referring to a different thread (the Where's Wenzloff thread), where I listed folks who used to be frequent WN contributors.  I didn't list Adam on that thread because he's still an occasional contributor here.  I did have Adam on my list on this thread.

My bad, I thought that was this thread...but I see now why you didn't include him.

(08-26-2018, 04:29 PM)AHill Wrote: I know George is a frequent contributor on another woodworking forum, and my impression aligns with yours - very opinionated and very willing to point you out if you disagree.  I don't know if you were implying that Adam was associated with Colonial Williamsburg.  To my recollection (Adam please correct me if I'm wrong), he was associated with Pensbury Manor.  I know Adam has presented at a Williamburg conference on 18th Century Woodworking.
Somehow I thought Adam was involved with Williamsburg, my bad.

(08-26-2018, 05:17 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I'm not sure of what your opinion of George Wilson is, but as a craftsmen, cabinetmaker, toolmaker, musical instrument maker, he is absolutely of the highest caliber. Many of the tools used at Colonial Williamsburg, were made by George, and if you watched early "Woodwright Shop", St. Roy showed many items made by George.

George could be a bit of a curmudgeon, but if you would know of his work, you would agree of his being of the highest caliber.

I do know his work and I agree, much of it is top notch...unfortunately it's not real clear what exactly George worked on, he takes credit for everything that was made in Williamsburg, because he was overseeing much of the work, he would have you believe he did ALL the work. The one thing that George really lacks and that is people skills. He's a braggart, a hypocrite and in general a very bitter person who has always attacked my character, my work, and anything I do. As you might guess, I don't care for him at all, I don't care how great a craftsman he is, and I don't care what he made and what he didn't. He can rot in pain for the remainder of his life for all I care.

And here's another thing, George has a complete shop at his house, he has multiple lathes and mills, he even has a Deckel mill that he's been trying to sell at way more than it's worth. Where is the work he does? He really doesn't do very much at all since leaving Williamsburg. He likes to talk big on the Internet, just like he claimed that he patterned his saws after the Seaton saws, but the style of his saws are actually different than the ones in the Seaton Chest. That is something Mike Wenzloff had a dispute with George about. George is a habitual liar so you can never tell what to believe. Everyone gets to form their own opinion on the Internet, and I have one of George. You can have your view, just like me.

George Wilson doesn't hold a candle as a person to Adam Cherubini. Adam is genuine. That's the opposite of George.

Alan
Quote:And here's another thing, George has a complete shop at his house, he has multiple lathes and mills, he even has a Deckel mill that he's been trying to sell at way more than it's worth. Where is the work he does? He really doesn't do very much at all since leaving Williamsburg. He likes to talk big on the Internet, just like he claimed that he patterned his saws after the Seaton saws, but the style of his saws are actually different than the ones in the Seaton Chest. That is something Mike Wenzloff had a dispute with George about. George is a habitual liar so you can never tell what to believe. Everyone gets to form their own opinion on the Internet, and I have one of George. You can have your view, just like me.

Are you mad?

[Image: wilson1.gif]

[Image: wilson2.gif]

[Image: wilson6.gif]

http://www.cybozone.com/fg/wilson1.html

http://www.cybozone.com/fg/wilson.html

He is a living legend.

I am proud to call George a good friend of mine. He has given his time freely to beginners and those willing to respond respectfully. He has little patience for fools. The last few years he has battled a great deal of pain. 

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Accomplished persons are all different, and their personalities are who they are, regardless of their accomplishments. Which is a good thing, otherwise, we behave like we all come from the same mould.

When it comes to accomplishment and humbleness, it is hard to find someone to match Sam Maloof. He did not display any sense of arrogance. Once we were touring his place, he saw us through his shop windows as we were peeping, and came out to chat. He invited us into shop, disrupting his work for 10 minutes or so. How much money was that, given his rates of work!

Some semi-accomplished to accomplished or better known woodworkers would think you are wasting their time to invite you into their shops. One time I contacted a furniture maker to see if I could drop by as I would be passing his place on a trip, his office staff replied that I would be welcome to book a private tutor session with him! Money talks.

Simon
People are welcome any time, to visit the Dungeon Woodshop...merely let me know when you'll be showing up.    Sometimes, they even walk away with a tool or two,,some buy them, others are given a gift....most even learn a thing, or two....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thumbs Up 
(08-27-2018, 10:31 AM)bandit571 Wrote: People are welcome any time, to visit the Dungeon Woodshop...merely let me know when you'll be showing up.    Sometimes, they even walk away with a tool or two,,some buy them, others are given a gift....most even learn a thing, or two....

GOOD TO KNOW!

Simon