Chris Schwarz is leaving PWW
(08-27-2018, 07:58 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: He is a living legend.
Not to me he isn't.

He never will hold a candle to other craftsmen I hold high respect for. He's a has been. He really doesn't do any work, especially now that he doesn't have anyone to oversee.

All the musical instruments are wonderful looking, but again it's not clear what George really worked on. Remember what Abe Lincoln said, "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.", this holds very true with anything that George Wilson posts.

I don't have time in my life for people like George. There are far too many great ones that I do appreciate and hold higher than him.

Alan
(08-27-2018, 02:31 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Not to me he isn't.

He never will hold a candle to other craftsmen I hold high respect for. He's a has been. He really doesn't do any work, especially now that he doesn't have anyone to oversee.

All the musical instruments are wonderful looking, but again it's not clear what George really worked on.

I don't have time in my life for people like George. There are far too many great ones that I do appreciate and hold higher than him.

Alan
Mercy...

Why don't you tell us what you really think??????
Skip

(08-27-2018, 02:37 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Mercy...

Why don't you tell us what you really think??????

I can't do that with George, it would be considered out of line and might get me banned. I'll need to stick to the forum rules.
Yes

Alan
(08-27-2018, 02:41 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I can't do that with George, it would be considered out of line and might get me banned. I'll need to stick to the forum rules.
Yes

Alan
Hello Alan;
Good return.. across the net..
Thanks;
Skip

No doubt George Wilson is a talented woodworker / luthier.  It was his reputation as a luthier that got him the job at CW in the first place.  It may also interest folks to know that most of the tools that were made for Colonial Williamsburg were made using modern methods. Once constructed, they were used in the shops there to demonstrate 18th century methods.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2007/02/...odern-made

http://www.history.org/foundation/journa.../tools.cfm
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Haven't communicated much with George since he doesn't visit forums often, but we are all entitled to our opinions. For me, I could only hope to approach 10% of his skills, and as a frequent visitor to CW, many of the older presenters give much praise to George's skills.

To me, it matters little if modern methods are used or not, but when seeing an intrument, piece of cabinetry or whatever, up close, in person, and having another speak in high reverence of the craftsman, speaks volumes.

I don't post pictures of things I make, mainly because they couldn't hold a match to skills of others that do. Regardless I plod along, and enjoy my hobby.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-27-2018, 02:46 PM)AHill Wrote: No doubt George Wilson is a talented woodworker / luthier.  It was his reputation as a luthier that got him the job at CW in the first place.  It may also interest folks to know that most of the tools that were made for Colonial Williamsburg were made using modern methods. Once constructed, they were used in the shops there to demonstrate 18th century methods.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2007/02/...odern-made

http://www.history.org/foundation/journa.../tools.cfm

He didn't even use American machines in most cases, they bought import machines for the shop...*sigh*

Anyway, I shouldn't have even mentioned his name, it was my fault, and I won't say anything more about him. Nobody will change the way George has acted to me, and nothing will change the way I feel about what he claims to be his work, or how it was done, with what machines or how it was done to represent "Colonial Williamsburg".

Alan