When does Art over come Practical?
When I make almost all my stuff I would like it to be used except for a very few things I did.

So lets talk about vases

1. When is a vase turn into art and not of much use?

2.  At what point can't a Art vase be used for intended purpose?

3.  Bowls? and not talking about Holes in the bottom

4.  Boxes

5.  Gobblets?

6.  Platters or plates?

Even with segmented turning or using burls most can be made useful but just when it is un-useful and become Art?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-15-2018, 06:00 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: When I make almost all my stuff I would like it to be used except for a very few things I did.

So lets talk about vases

1. When is a vase turn into art and not of much use?

2.  At what point can't a Art vase be used for intended purpose?

3.  Bowls? and not talking about Holes in the bottom

4.  Boxes

5.  Gobblets?

6.  Platters or plates?

Even with segmented turning or using burls most can be made useful but just when it is un-useful and become Art?

I made several home communion chalice /platen sets. Several were purchased by ministers and others were purchased to give ministers as gifts. I also do burl and highly figures plates and bowls and rolling pins. All are art and meant to be used but used wisely
Practical = useful for something [not necessarily what was intended]
Art = enjoyable or thought provoking to the person beholding it.
These terms are not mutually exclusive.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
See my signature line!!
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(09-16-2018, 03:40 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: See my signature line!!

I did remember it when I wrote it, however things with holes in it are still functional.  So I know something can be both functional and art but when is it divided? 

Again thinking here even functional stuff is never used for the purpose and used as art to.  Go figure.  Guess I answered my own question partly.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

$30 bowl - Craft
$300 for the same bowl - Art.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(09-17-2018, 05:36 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: $30 bowl - Craft

GM
Well put
thats about as good an explanation as your gonna get
Oh man I would be rich if I hadn't thrown away the bowls I put a hole in the bottom of. Seems to happen all to often trying to get  the one last cut in.
It becomes art when:
  • It's too fragile to handle.
  • It is so unique that it no longer serves its original purpose.
  • It's primarily used for display and not for utility.
  • You spend an inordinate amount of time adding non-functional features to the piece.  (e.g. decoration, finishing, detailed segmenting, finials, etc.)
  • You want to charge way more for it than what a commercial version costs.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-17-2018, 05:36 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: $30 bowl - Craft

GM

I forgot that line.
Yes