Lathe ID help
Yard sale find. The owner was a jeweler. This sat for many years. ID badge painted, suggestions appreciated. Motor, drive pulleys and flat rubber belt included. 1 speed only.Motor has wires hanging out, haven't tried to run yet. Lots of cast iron, very heavy.

Has a chuck, small face plate, some kind of dog, and a tapered shaft. Dead centers on headstock and tailstock, oil cups for centers and drive . Tool rest and banjo included.

Everything is freed up, no binding,no slop, should operate well.

36" bed length overall. 21" between centers. 8 and 1/2" swing over bed.

1 and 1/8" x 12 TPI spindle.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Hairy

I have been checking up on Lapidary work since I am going to start doing it in a small way.  There were used to polish precious and semi precious stones.  They did not need variable speed since there were 3 different polishing wheels and different grits up to 10,000 grit with a very fine past.

Sorry to say I do not know about the lathe but how it works for the jewelers.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-06-2018, 02:00 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Hairy

I have been checking up on Lapidary work since I am going to start doing it in a small way.  There were used to polish precious and semi precious stones.  They did not need variable speed since there were 3 different polishing wheels and different grits up to 10,000 grit with a very fine past.

Sorry to say I do not know about the lathe but how it works for the jewelers.

Thanks Arlin! I tried the motor, it needs work. It just hums loudly until I spin the shaft. It runs fine after that. I'm thinking of going with a treadmill motor. Any advice on going that route is greatly appreciated.

There were 2 mandrels used for sizing rings in the garage where I got this. The tapered shaft on the lathe is very similar to those in size , length and taper. It is made to fit the dead centers.
(10-06-2018, 05:57 PM)hairy Wrote: Thanks Arlin! I tried the motor, it needs work. It just hums loudly until I spin the shaft. It runs fine after that. I'm thinking of going with a treadmill motor. Any advice on going that route is greatly appreciated.

There were 2 mandrels used for sizing rings in the garage where I got this. The tapered shaft on the lathe is very similar to those in size , length and taper. It is made to fit the dead centers.

Sounds like a starting capacitor. Should be easy enough to fix.
(10-07-2018, 08:53 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Sounds like a starting capacitor. Should be easy enough to fix.

Thanks! That could be the problem. Treadmill motor will make it variable speed instead of only 1 speed.
(10-06-2018, 10:38 AM)hairy Wrote: 1 and 1/8" x 12 TPI spindle.
Might be 1" x 12TPI, I can't tell.
Part of the mystery is solved. All I did was spray carburetor cleaner on it.

Attached Files Image(s)

vintagemachinery.org/MfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=609&tab=4 F

This is a link to Oliver Machinery. May help identify the lathe.

G M
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(10-09-2018, 02:20 AM)Grey Mountain Wrote: vintagemachinery.org/MfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=609&tab=4 F

This is a link to Oliver Machinery.  May help identify the lathe.

G M

Thanks! You don't have a few of these in your herd?
No, seem to have missed this one...
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Here is some info not sure will help much,

http://www.lathes.co.uk/wwoliver/

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...px?id=1319
Bill