Wood & Mold
I think I know the answer to this, but was hoping someone had a solution.

I made 5 spoons, 3 of which are cherry.  After oiling them, I put them outside to darken.  At any rate, I forgot about them for a few days and it rained.  A lot.  My bad.  When I finally remembered to get them, they had black spots all over - I assume mold.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy to sand (because of the oil) so I used a card scraper first and then sanded - starting at 120.  There were still some black steaks, so I tried scrubbing the spoons with oxalic acid (Barkeeper's Friend), figuring it was wood bleach.  They seemed to get better, so I oiled them and hoped for the best.

A couple of black streaks are still visible.

My question is whether there's a sure way to kill the mold and remove the staining.  Lots of conflicting information including, bleach, vinegar, baking soda.  Some say hot water, some say cold.  Would microwaving kill the mold?

As I indicated, I'm guessing that I already know the answer, but thought one of you would have a brilliant idea to save the spoons from the wood pile.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
(10-08-2018, 03:32 PM)Steve Friedman Wrote: I think I know the answer to this, but was hoping someone had a solution.

I made 5 spoons, 3 of which are cherry.  After oiling them, I put them outside to darken.  At any rate, I forgot about them for a few days and it rained.  A lot.  My bad.  When I finally remembered to get them, they had black spots all over - I assume mold.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy to sand (because of the oil) so I used a card scraper first and then sanded - starting at 120.  There were still some black steaks, so I tried scrubbing the spoons with oxalic acid (Barkeeper's Friend), figuring it was wood bleach.  They seemed to get better, so I oiled them and hoped for the best.

A couple of black streaks are still visible.

My question is whether there's a sure way to kill the mold and remove the staining.  Lots of conflicting information including, bleach, vinegar, baking soda.  Some say hot water, some say cold.  Would microwaving kill the mold?

Have made thousands of spoons, most out of cherry, even have one still in use (yesterday) dated 1992.  Never had them mildew, nor does our local stuff spalt.  But, you have the right answer - firewood.  When they get damp again, they may well start growing, though it's probably the oil nourishing them, rather than the wood.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(10-08-2018, 03:45 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Have made thousands of spoons, most out of cherry, even have one still in use (yesterday) dated 1992.  Never had them mildew, nor does our local stuff spalt.  But, you have the right answer - firewood.  When they get damp again, they may well start growing, though it's probably the oil nourishing them, rather than the wood.
Thanks Michael,

Interesting thought about the oil.  I was surprised to see the mold.  I actually left them on top of the wood pile where I usually throw my rejects to use for kindling.  I don't recall any of them developing mold like this.  I use Walnut oil (the one that LV sells) with a little bit of citrus solvent mixed in.

Steve
(10-08-2018, 04:33 PM)Steve Friedman Wrote: Thanks Michael,

Interesting thought about the oil.  I was surprised to see the mold.  I actually left them on top of the wood pile where I usually throw my rejects to use for kindling.  I don't recall any of them developing mold like this.  I use Walnut oil (the one that LV sells) with a little bit of citrus solvent mixed in.

Steve

Me too on the walnut oil, but from the supermarket.  Your placing them on a woodpile with its load of multi-gendered wood fungi changes my opinion from oil to wood as the bill of fare.  Though, truth to tell, even when cherry sits on the stack in the rain, only the sapwood gets funky on what I'm burning.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(10-09-2018, 05:43 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Me too on the walnut oil, but from the supermarket.  Your placing them on a woodpile with its load of multi-gendered wood fungi changes my opinion from oil to wood as the bill of fare.  Though, truth to tell, even when cherry sits on the stack in the rain, only the sapwood gets funky on what I'm burning.

Thanks again,

I was wondering if the mold was just streaking in the grain, but looked at it under magnification and am pretty sure it's really mold.  I only make a couple of dozen spoons each year, so this is around 25% of my 2018 production.

Lesson learned.

Steve