Are there any 220V "big" routers on the market?
(10-09-2018, 11:55 AM)jteneyck Wrote: So what's the issue?

John

I prefer using 220 over 110 when possible.
Semper fi,
Brad

(10-09-2018, 09:21 AM)jteneyck Wrote: And the foreign ones run at a different frequency so I wouldn't go that route even if you could get one.  

John

The 240v 50hz universal motored power tools run fine on 240v 60hz, most will show 50/60hz on the motor plate anyway.   A lot of people use NAINA Festool tools in the US. 50hz induction motors are generally fine too but some of the Euro small frame motors tend to run hot and thus shorten the life.

The problem would be finding a large fixed base router from Europe.

In the end, I don't really understand the impetus for a 220v router unless one is hoping for more than the current high end of HP. The 7518 and 5625 will run all day on a 15 amp circuit.
(10-09-2018, 12:26 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I prefer using 220 over 110 when possible.

Funny, I saw a monster router at the flea market last week, I'd say about 10-12 inches in diameter at the base, the motor was at least 6" maybe 7" across, wired for 220 on a short cord; pretty old unit, guy selling it was in his late 70's and was finally closing up his stair shop and heading to AZ; he said he got it in the late 50s and used it for bullnosing heavy stair stock, and said it worked just fine.  I could not find any manufacturer plate on it.  Was not mounted but used hand held and I bet you it was a bear to handle, it must have weighed close to 20 pounds, all metal.  It would take some extreme modifications to mount in a lift, if even possible.  When I walked back past his table two hours later it was gone.  Told me he wanted $20 for it.  I should have taken a picture of it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I used a 220 volt router back in the 70's to route out window and door openings in walls that we built.  It was a monster but it would not stall out.  I can't remember the make but I think it may have been an early Dewalt or Black and Decker when they made real tools.
Porter Cable used to make an extra heavy duty 220v router for the American market. I don't see it in their line-up any more. Here's one an eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porter-Cable-53...SwCFNbWiLv
You can use a 3phse 2.2kw spindle or larger and a VFD. Its what many CNC machines use. Mine is water cooled and amazing. Many are 80mm or larger when you get to 2.2kw. LOVE ER20 collets.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

In professional shops, the big Porter-Cable 3hp Router is the go to. Especially in the Solid Surface shops. 

They are powerful and tend to last a long time. The brushes and bearings are what typically fail, and both are pretty easy to replace.

How much routing do you plan to do that you want/need lower amperage? The 110v set up draws 15 amps. My Unisaw at 220v draws that.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I don't have any real need for lower amp motors; I wired my shop with several 110V/20A circuits.

I just like using 220V.
Semper fi,
Brad

(10-11-2018, 09:48 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I don't have any real need for lower amp motors; I wired my shop with several 110V/20A circuits.

I just like using 220V.

Large fixed base routers and routers with detachable motors are unobtainable on the European market. All are 110 volt and therefore of no use to us.
The only one that has ever existed was a Bosch which is no longer manufactured.

For 230 volt router motors there are are two serious alternatives.
-AUK-tools
-Suchner
and that's just about it.............

A company called Interwood based in London UK made some three phase 400 volt spindle motors back in the 60-ies or 70-ies........ I found two of those at the scrapyard today. Currently pondering whether I could use one in a router table.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English