PSA: Veritas 40th Anniversary Marking Gauge
Don't miss out on this one:

Veritas  40th Anniversary Marking Gauge

[Image: 05N7040s1.jpg]
I hang out in a Machnists forum for curiosity and interest. After seeing the number of operations required to make a precision hand tool, I am now surprised how seemingly "cheap" some top tier tools may be. Case in point.

Also, I have the single rod version of this marking gauge, and as always, it's made with excellent craftsmanship.
Yes, the 35th anniversary model is a winner for sure: always on my bench (and shows no propensity to roll off the bench!)

(10-30-2018, 11:53 PM)Cian Wrote: I hang out in a Machnists forum for curiosity and interest.  After seeing the number of operations required to make a precision hand tool, I am now surprised how seemingly "cheap" some top tier tools may be.  Case in point.

Also, I have the single rod version of this marking gauge, and as always, it's made with excellent craftsmanship.
(10-31-2018, 07:00 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: Yes, the 35th anniversary model is a winner for sure: always on my bench (and shows no propensity to roll off the bench!)
Thanks for the 'heads up'....got mine today with free shipping!!
(10-30-2018, 11:53 PM)Cian Wrote: I hang out in a Machnists forum for curiosity and interest.  After seeing the number of operations required to make a precision hand tool, I am now surprised how seemingly "cheap" some top tier tools may be.  Case in point.

Isn't that the truth!

If I had to make/sell/support them, I'd want a minimum of several hundred bucks, and there would be a special application process to get in line to buy one.
If I had to make a 1/2-20 hex head bolt it would cost you a couple hundred $.  But I'm pretty sure I could match the price of this marking gauge with short production run quantities. I'd have to send it out, of course.
For those that pick one up, let us know how well it stays locked in use. I have their pocket dual marking gauge that is also stainless steel. I have problems with the gauge losing its settings and the head slipping in use. I think it’s more of an issue with the small locking knob rather than the stainless steel rods. Be interesting to see if this one has a similar issue.

I can’t justify a purchase of one since I already have a vintage Goodell-Prat with dual marked shafts and a large octagonal head. I think it was a basis of some of the design choices Lee Valley used in their marking gauge.
John
My dual gauge does not slip. I used to have two of it.

Contact Lee Valley to exchange yours with a good one.

Simon
I appreciate the little rubberized washer on the end of one of the SS rods to prevent the yoke that holds the rod setting from sliding off.

I cannot budge the rods once they are set and yet they slide easily if unlocked.