Swap meet Heaven
3 times a year our San Diego Fine Woodworkers Association has an 'Old Tool Swapmeet' in the local Rockler parking lot on Sunday Morning...early!  It starts as soon as folks get there and, I didn't set my clock back so I got there this morning at 3:30...and there were more than a dozen vendors there already!  I shopped by flashlight..

[Image: 56303283984__F4FBFE1E-CAE1-4CE1-A481-D12A36DB1A95.jpeg]
[Image: 56303289640__6F8CCF64-6781-4599-AC9C-C6F84163B262.jpeg]
[Image: IMG_0874.jpeg]
[Image: IMG_0877.jpeg]
I've been searching for Drill Press for ages...got this one for a song!  The Jennings (full set) bits are in the classic box in great condition....bits are sharp! The side axe is a Plumb, There is an etch on the handsaw w/reinforced handle but I need to clean it up to read it, Disston backsaw & panel saw. Great 2 sided drawknife...sharp & ready to use and the screwdrivers speak for themselves...hard to find em in this good condition. Matching  Chapin Stephens 5/8" hollow & round and a 2 lb lump hammer for$3.  Best Haul I've had in a loooong time.
Plus I got a Metabo drill/screw gun w/2 batteries & accessories!

Don
(11-04-2018, 11:48 PM)DonSlaughter Wrote: 3 times a year our San Diego Fine Woodworkers Association has an 'Old Tool Swapmeet' in the local Rockler parking lot on Sunday Morning...early!  It starts as soon as folks get there and, I didn't set my clock back so I got there this morning at 3:30...and there were more than a dozen vendors there already!  I shopped by flashlight..

[Image: 56303283984__F4FBFE1E-CAE1-4CE1-A481-D12A36DB1A95.jpeg]
[Image: 56303289640__6F8CCF64-6781-4599-AC9C-C6F84163B262.jpeg]
[Image: IMG_0874.jpeg]
[Image: IMG_0877.jpeg]
I've been searching for Drill Press for ages...got this one for a song!  The Jennings (full set) bits are in the classic box in great condition....bits are sharp! The side axe is a Plumb, There is an etch on the handsaw w/reinforced handle but I need to clean it up to read it, Disston backsaw & panel saw. Great 2 sided drawknife...sharp & ready to use and the screwdrivers speak for themselves...hard to find em in this good condition. Matching  Chapin Stephens 5/8" hollow & round and a 2 lb lump hammer for$3.  Best Haul I've had in a loooong time.
Plus I got a Metabo drill/screw gun w/2 batteries & accessories!

Don
Nice haul !!!!! I love those "tailgate" swap meets !!!!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

That's pretty nifty stuff.  I've never seen a double-edged drawknife like that.
(11-05-2018, 09:56 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: That's pretty nifty stuff.  I've never seen a double-edged drawknife like that.

First one I've see too.  Doggone thing works like a charm!  I've got several drawknives and this one stands out!
thanks for lookin Bill.
Our woodworking club here in the Chicago suburbs tried for a couple of years to have the local Rockler store allow us to have a tool sale/swap in their parking lot.  They would have nothing to do  with the idea.  They felt it would hurt their business that day and that the landlord would not allow that type of use for the parking lot.

In fairness, they do give us a nice discount as club members.  The local Woodcraft dropped their discount for woodworking clubs and replaced it with a loyalty program that is far less attractive. 

So many friends have commented that they would love to have a Highland Hardware (the one in Atlanta) in Chicago.  Now that is a woodworking store!
(11-05-2018, 11:23 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Our woodworking club here in the Chicago suburbs tried for a couple of years to have the local Rockler store allow us to have a tool sale/swap in their parking lot.  They would have nothing to do  with the idea.  They felt it would hurt their business that day and that the landlord would not allow that type of use for the parking lot.

In fairness, they do give us a nice discount as club members.  The local Woodcraft dropped their discount for woodworking clubs and replaced it with a loyalty program that is far less attractive. 

So many friends have commented that they would love to have a Highland Hardware (the one in Atlanta) in Chicago.  Now that is a woodworking store!
Mike, our Rockler store owner is a big supporter of our WW association.  I can't imagine his store thriving without our business. Our swap meet is always on the first Sunday of the month and is over by 11 AM so it doesn't have a negative effect on Rockler business and the other businesses in the strip mall are closed at that time so they don't suffer.  Anyway....it is a really fun component of our yearly activities.  Hope you can find a way to start one in your area!
Make sure you go to the Culver City swapmeet next week
Smile